Zone Alarm free version - vsmon.exe

Minkey1 10:23 23 Jun 05

Morning folks

After many problems with NIS 2005, I finally accepted defeat, uninstalled it, and installed Avast and ZA. I have a BT router with hardware firewall so ZA was a belt and braces approach to control outgoing apps.

Everything has been working fine but suddenly I've noticed in Task Manager the process vsmon.exe (apparently part of ZA) using increasing resources - I've seen it up to 0.5 gig ?

I've a 3.4 P4 with 1 gig of RAM and the resulting system instability results in effects such as loss of sound.

Anyone with similar recent problems with free Zone Alarm ? Given the hardware firewall, would I still be reasonably OK with XP's firewall ?

Regards

Mike

pj123 10:33 23 Jun 05

I am running ZA and don't have that problem. Don't know if this is any help but you can check out vsmon here: click here

or click here

Minkey1 11:00 23 Jun 05

Cheers pj.

I've looked at the links and bookmarked them. There's clearly some current issue with ZA with some users - ZA's own forums have lots of postings on the topic which seems to be linked to recent XP updates. Suggestions of closing ZA down do seem to be defeating the object ?

Of all the PC problems I've ever had - 99% have been to do with firewalls !

Will MS "OneCare" solve all my problems (at a cost, of course !)

Mike

Minkey1 16:21 23 Jun 05

Hi all

Looking at other forums - including Zone Alarm's own - it seems not all users are affected, but if you are, the only suggestion is to disable some settings. As that seems to defeat the object I'll uninstal it and give Sygate or Kerio a go.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…