Zone alarm (free) & shared internet connection

Frank P 11:40 15 Sep 05

I have two computers connected with Microsoft home networking that work fine with the Norton firewall but I thought I'd try the free version of Zone Alarm. Although I can share files and printers I can't figure out how to allow the networked computer to share the internet connection, Zone Alarm is blocking it. Any help would be appreciated.

Stuartli 11:57 15 Sep 05

I would suggest you use the Firewall>Zones tab section in the ZA panel to configure your requirements.

TonyM 12:34 15 Sep 05

I think you'll find that the free version of ZoneAlarm doesn't support ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) you need to upgrade to the Pro version

scotty 12:40 15 Sep 05

Are you using Internet Connection Sharing? You cannot use ICS with free ZoneAlarm unless you decrease your firewall's "internet zone" setting to medium.

Stuartli 12:43 15 Sep 05

See the latter part of this link:

click here

and:

click here

click here

click here

click here

Stuartli 13:37 15 Sep 05

Further, from ZA's Firewall tab>Main Zone>Trusted Zone Security will have to be changed from High to Medium.

keith-236785 14:26 15 Sep 05

thats the reason i went to ZA Pro, as the free version did not support networking (might have changed now, it was nearly two years ago).

i had to select "this computer is an ICS/NAT Gateway" (open ZA, click firewall tab then advanced near the bottom) then select this computer is an ICS/NAT Gateway and select the network address form the dropdown box (only do this on the main pc, on the client, select "this computer is a client on an ICS/NAT Gateway running Zone Alarm".
I dont know if the free version has this option though, but its free to try.

Does not apply to me now though as i have a broadband router which supplies the internet to the network (only two pc's).

good luck

Frank P 00:18 16 Sep 05

Thanks guys, I suspected it would probably be something like this. It looks like I'll have to buy the pro version or go back to Norton. Cheers

Roadgiant 06:56 16 Sep 05

I had a similar problem and having reformatted decided to give Sygate Personal a try click here.
The free version does support home networking use and I find it a lot easier to use than ZA.

sattman 07:36 16 Sep 05

I would also suggest you give Sygate a go. Less problamatic than ZA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5