Zone Alarm & AVG disabled. Win2K acting strange!?

AtomikNoize 21:31 24 Aug 04

Hello everyone :-)

First time on here so *hello*!

Was wondering if any of you computer & Windows gurus could offer some advice.

Two days ago I booted up my computer as usual (Windows 2000) and noticed that my Zone Alarm firewall(free version) and AVG Anti Virus (free version) had not started up.( I had set them to start automatically at boot-up).

I tried starting them both but they refused to do so.

Since then Windows is behaving wierdly. For example when I go to Start>Run>regedit - nothing happens. Other programs behave similarly...they refuse to start, while some flash on the screen for a second and then dissappear....

I then noticed on Task Manager that the Zone Alarm client was appearing & disappearing every 2 seconds or so. So I uninstalled Zone Alarm. Then I tried uninstalling AVG - but it wont uninstall.

Having uninstalled Zone Alarm I got the free version of Sygate Personal Firewall - but that would'nt start up after installation either.

I did an online virus scan using BitDefenders free virus scanner & it detected:

c:\winnt\system32\ntsysmgr.exe(Backdoor.SDBot.Gen)
c:\winnt\system32\cool.exe

It then gave detailed instructions on how to get rid of them (which involved diving into the registry). I successfuly deleted the virus/malware & rebooted.

But Windows 2000 is still acting strange.

Whatever virus is on my system seems to be clever enough to *disable all firewalls & anti-virus software*

Short of reinstalling Windows...is there anything I can do to sort this out?

Thank you :-)

-------------
System Specs
-------------
Sony Vaio Laptop (PCG-Z600HEK)
Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4)
DirectX 9.0b
20GB HDD (8GB free)
800Mhz Mobile Intel Pentium IIIE
128MB SDRAM
ATI Rage Mobility-M1 AGP (8Mb)
Yamaha Native DS1 Audio

stalion 21:34 24 Aug 04

try this click here

VoG II 21:35 24 Aug 04

Try running all of these: click here click here click here

AtomikNoize 00:59 25 Aug 04

Thank U stalion & VoG.

I am running the tests now! Those are some neat services!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…