Zone Alarm alert. Any ideas ?

anniecat 16:38 16 May 04

I have HP pc, scanner and printer. I have recently been in touch with HP regarding earlier prob with printer, this is now resolved but I have suddenly got a pop up from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow this prog to act as server. I have said no as I can't understand why this has suddenly happened, when I have had Zone alarm for months and would have expected any contact between my pc and any other legit computer to have been accessed before now.. the alert was :-

HP DMI. file name DmiWDog.exe

does anyone recognise this file name as it looks suspicious to me. any help/info would be appreciated as no doubt I'll be asked again at some point if I want to allow it access.

Stuartli 17:53 16 May 04

Have you run a virus scan, plus Ad-Aware and S and D 1.2?

ZA quite often asks if you want something to act as a server; usually the answer is no.

anniecat 21:15 16 May 04

AVG scans every day as scheduled. spybot1.3 in use and spywareblaster.

When I first installed Zone alarm everytime I went to use something it asked for permission EG. msn messenger, avg update, etc. but this popped up out of the blue.

I had deleted a Netsky virus that avg alerted me to this morning, the Zone Alarm alert came a few hours later ... do you think it could be related..?

I'll go and do another scan now and let you know later

howard60 21:57 16 May 04

when you download an update to a prog it often needs to go back to the parent site for latest fixes that is what is happening and I normally allow 1 visit via zone alarm after an alteration but do not tick the always box.

anniecat 22:38 16 May 04

it hasn't popped up since this morning but the zip file containing the netskyQ virus is still on the system even though I thought I had deleted it avg is telling me it can't heal it and it's still on the drive... need a fix for that now... anybody got a url to hand ?

spybot wouldn't load either came up with the ... This programme has performed an illegal... then an error report in German...lol I'm not kidding either

Little Jo 22:39 16 May 04

Hi

Some of the latest HP printers have a status monitor type program that communicates your ink usage to HP or something. Someone I know has such a printer. Can anyone else shed light on this?

My Epson Status Monitor 3 needs to be 'permitted to act as a server' in Zone Alarm Pro to work. I don't think it's anything to worry about - it has the facility to connect you to the help pages on the manufacturer's website.

Jo

anniecat 22:42 16 May 04

thanx for that joe.

The Netsky Q is more of a bother now... damn it!!!

bertiecharlie 22:47 16 May 04

click here Hope this helps.

bertiecharlie 22:49 16 May 04

PS. This link was posted by Spuds earlier today in response to another virus question.

anniecat 09:01 17 May 04

thanx for the link I downloaded and ran it with no result. have also used symantec removal tool with a zero result, and avg still says it's on the drive.

I'll start a new thread with this.

thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…