Zone Alarm Ad Blocking - Whats an ad?

Sir Radfordin 18:12 30 Oct 03

Am in the process of developing a website and noticed some images weren't being shown on my computer - but they were there in the source code.

Had to disable ZoneAlarm for something and hadn't put it back on when I next tested this site. The images are now visable.

So I played around with ZoneAlarms settings and have worked out that it thinks the images are "Banner/ Skyscraper Ads". All they are is little icons/post-it note size images with a link to a PDF document (using _blank as the target.) They are not adverts - and if you remove the link to the PDF then they will be shown.

So does anyone know what ZoneAlarm means by a "Banner/ Skyscraper Ad" and any idea on how to stop it thinking these ones are?

Couldn't make my mind up if this would be better in the WebDesign forum so FE move it if you see fit. It was only though looking at some of these threds about images not being shown I realised that it was ZoneAlarm and not my PC playing up!

A_World_Maker 18:49 30 Oct 03

From my limited understanding, banner/skyscaper ads refer to horizontal/vertical images that are click throughs (links attached), which virtualy says... 'and anything else we may have forgotten'.. in Zonealarm terms lol

phil 19:00 30 Oct 03

The HP ad to the right of this message is a skyscraper ad.

Sir Radfordin 19:01 30 Oct 03

Helpful but can't see it :p

SheffieldSpy 05:00 31 Oct 03

Which version of ZoneAlarm are you using? I have Version 4.0, yet I don't seem to have the problem that you are describing. Could you not 'reset' all your ZoneAlarm settings and allowed/disallowed programs list? Then you could try and identify the rogue settings, if there is one.

Sir Radfordin 09:52 31 Oct 03

It is ZoneAlarm Pro. One of the options is to block adverts. I know if I untick blocking on "banner/ Skyscraper Ads" then it solves the problem.

That however only fixes it for me, I wanted to know what ZoenAlarm thinks these images are adverts (just because they link to PDFs) so that other people viewing the site won't have the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…