Zip Drives

Daveym 15:30 25 Nov 03

I have an internal and external Iomega 100mb Zip drive and for some reason 2 of my disks have suddenly stopped reading in any of the drives. One just keeps "clicking" and the other keeps saying "insert disk". I have read of issues on the net with these drives but as one of my disks has some family photos on it is there a way of retrieving these. And I will be binning the drives as I will never trust them again!!!!

Cheers Daveymo

Jester2K II 15:33 25 Nov 03

Doesn't look good. If we stopped trusting anything that let us down no one would have a PC.

I take it these are your ONLY copies of the photos and you have no Backups?

Daveym 15:38 25 Nov 03

These zip disks WERE my backups...!!!!

Jester2K II 15:40 25 Nov 03

So if you have the originals somewhere make new backups on new disks! Then always make two backups...

Or do you mean you backed up to the ZIP disks and then deleted the originals - making the Backups the originals and not backups at all... A Backup is ONLY a Backup when there is an original copy too....

Diemmess 15:49 25 Nov 03

Have you tried getting some sympathy from Iomega tech support.
I did and they replaced two Jaz drives and a disk for me when well out of warranty... and it was not their fault---- as it eventually proved to be a SCSI termination problem.

That was a long time ago, things may be different these days, but even a shoulder to cry on can help particularly if it is still a freephone number! It was>(0800 973194)

Daveym 15:51 25 Nov 03

The origionals were on my pc downloaded from my digicam. The backups were the zip disks. So looks like I'm stuffed...!!!

Jester2K II 15:52 25 Nov 03

It sounds like the disks have gone... Replacing the drive won't help (after all Daveym has two drives and neither disk works in either drive)

Jester2K II 15:54 25 Nov 03

So the backups aren't backups then...

I can't think of a way to recover data from a knackered ZIP disk.
Someone else might though.... Hang in there....

Daveym 15:57 25 Nov 03

Cheers folks. I will try the number and let you know!!

ton 16:23 25 Nov 03

Some info here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…