//some 3rd party need geo

Zip drive disc corrupted

LAP 16:12 11 Jun 03

Running win xp pro and have a 250 zip drive. On one particular zip disc when i click on any picture i get the following message 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' but text files are ok. Are these pictures recoverable? Any advice please..Lap..

recap 17:58 11 Jun 03

Try saving the graphic to your HD, you might be able to open it from there.

Wak 19:03 11 Jun 03

Hi, I have a little program (49Kb) called Tip.exe produced by Steve Gibson which will test your Zip Drive for signs of trouble.
Check it out at click here
I hope this is of some help.

LAP 20:53 11 Jun 03

recap, tried your idea but as it states 'unreadable' it won't let me.

Wak, thanks for yours, the site makes for interesting reading but does not work on my system. States 'put in disc' when there's already one in.. I only have one disc with this problem. I know it is not the actual drive because my wife has an external zip drive on her computer and this one disc is the only one effected..

Do you know of any programe/software that I may be able to retreive some if not all of my files?

Thanks to both of you..Lap..

Wak 16:46 12 Jun 03

I have a program called Restoration Version 2.5.14 by Brian Kato which will retrieve deleted files from floppies, Hard drives, Zip drives etc and works with all systems up to and including XP.
The Operative file is Restoration.exe (200Kb) but I can't find where I got it from. If you can't find it on Google, e-mail me and I'll send it to you if you wish.

Mysticnas 17:29 12 Jun 03

I went through my comuter science degree scaring mymyself witless when i had to slot my zip disk into they drives on campus!!! with over 3000 machines, it was pot luck.

Many times i loaded my programs which i had spent hours of coding just vanish for various reasons, most common was the click of death!!!

I spent around £60/80 in 1year and that was for 8/10 zip disks. Think about it...

£30 for CDRW 10/30p for a CDR. CDR = 800Mb, zip100 = 100Mb.

Why do people use zip disks? they cost more and cause more grief than their worth.

Speaking to a mate of mine who's a tech at the uni and he replied "Not everyone at uni knows how to use a computer propperly, zip disks just esaier to use then CD's."

Ho-hum...

I went and brought myslef a USB key instead, much better.

Mysticnas 17:38 12 Jun 03

on the net, that you send your damaged files or disks to and they try and restore them for you.

but they do charge a large amount... we're talking about £130 for a 100mb Zip.

Jester2K II 17:41 12 Jun 03
  LAP 21:17 12 Jun 03

First of all thanks to everybody...

Mysticnas, i started using Zips on old computer run win 95. Got on very well with them no problems.. Now have new computer with built in Zip.. i think I've probably just worn the disc out. Re the restoring, not a good idea to send away as it has all my internet banking codes on it etc..

Wak, i will use your first idea to test the remainder of my zip discs. Your second idea by Brian Kato (Restoration) is what Jester2k II's thread refers to.

Jester2k II, i downloaded your idea. i did manage to recover to small files thanks to you.. but not the rest..Lesson learnt.

i have learnt a very valuable lesson.. We all back up important files.. But because of security i only wrote to the disc and saved nothing on the computer.. As of now i will save to zip and dupicate to my nice new multi drive as well... Thanks once again..Lap..

Wak 22:11 12 Jun 03

One thing I would say before you sign off is that some of these restoration programs change the first letter of the file by adding an X to the front (or something similar), so if you see a file with similar but changed name, save it and Rename it to what it should be.
You never know your luck.

LAP 18:16 13 Jun 03

Thanks Wak, i saved every file no matter what it was and had already did as you suggested but no luck..thanks again ..Lap..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…