Zip Central programme

crate-a-day 07:48 05 Mar 03

Please can anyone help?.without meaning to be diparaging,i'm getting hopelessly lost trying to get help from the 'help' columns of the zip central programme.I seem to be finding the help columns the most unhelpful places places imaginable.I've loaded the zip central programme from the march edition of PC Advisor,and am under the impression (mistakenly or not?) from the blurbs on the pre-installation screen,that by using this programme I will be able to send music files(downloaded using WinMX 3.3) to friends in Australia and elsewhere.Now due to the very archaic telephone lines in the town I live in Zimbabwe(Kariba,with, possibly someof the oldest in the country,old copper wire etc,pulse dialling)e-mailing anything takes a long time,with frequent disconnections, due to all sorts of reasons ('noisy on lines,crossed lines,people phoning people on nearby phones you name it we have it!!).Now according to my understanding of some of the benefits of using ZipCentral,it will make it easier for me to send music files and picture files, by compressing them,thereby needing less transmission time,am I correct in my assumption?,and that being so, can someone give me instructions? in plain simple english(which is why I always ask visitors to zim to bring me the latest PC Advisor,as it is in English that the average person,who doesn't have a degree in "americanese longcomputer jargonese, unhelpful help"can understand.any other help with sending jpegs etc by e-mail would be appreciated.Thanking you CADC(crate-a-day-Crimes)

buffalow 08:16 05 Mar 03

Any zip type programme will condense files and thus save you transmission times if then attached to an email or sent direct.

I have used ZipCentral for 2 years and it is one of the best freeware products.

Start ZipCentral.

Initially in Options/configuration set the default Add folder to wherever you want your created zip files to go (so you can find them).

Close it down.

In Explorer if you right click on the file you want compressed, click on Add to "filename".zip in the Context options offered.

This will re-start ZipCentral.

Set your compression level - I use maximum (slowest) and click OK.

It will then compress the file and show you its compressed file size. You can see if it has compressed with no errors by clicking on Test.

Close ZipCentral.

Compressed file will now be in the folder you originally specified - ready to send.

Pesala 10:09 05 Mar 03

Especially music and picture files, which tend to be compressed already. Notably JPG and MP3 formats are already highly compressed. If your pictures are in BMP or TIFF formats, you should convert them to JPG or PNG before sending. If they are high resolution, you should reduce them in size too. About 640 x 480 pixels is sufficient unless you are a photographer or an artist. For high quality A4 prints 1600 x 1200 is adequate.

You will save some hard disk space if you combine 10 JPG files in an archive. It will make very little difference whether you send 10 JPG files by email or as a single archive containing the 10 files. Helpful if there is a limit on the number of attachments you can send. Not helpful if the transmission fails half way through, which seems likely in your case. Send several emails each with a single attachment. At some will arrive safely.

Ten JPG files = 208,602 bytes, 262,144 bytes on disk

One archive = 207,485 bytes, 212,992 bytes on disk

What you should do is ensure that you get the best compression with the least loss of quality.

See this thread for a comprehensive discussion of Graphic Formats:

click here

MP3 files are enormous, and not suited for sending by email. Only midi files are compact enough. Copy large files to a CD-R and send by post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…