Zero disk space

loco 12:55 24 Jul 03

My c: harddrive had more than 5 Giga before I installed an application. Now my drive is full ( a message is "low disk space". I cannot remove any application using "Add/Remove", because it requires at least 200MB on the C: drive, but I do not have 200MB and therefore I do not know what to do.

Could somebody help me please?

loco

bennyc 13:00 24 Jul 03

First of all restart your computer, this can sometimes fix this type of problem, because it resets the Windows cache of your free drive space.

plankton 13:15 24 Jul 03

You may have to delete files "by hand", using explorer, seeing where the large files are on the c: drive and then deleting one, some or all of them. What did you install? I'd like to avoid that sort of problem if possible!

leo49 13:29 24 Jul 03

Check out the properties of your Recycle Bin - by default Windows grabs 10% and with the size of today's HDDs that's a ridiculous amount of space.

Regards

plankton 15:26 24 Jul 03

Loco, if the drive continues to fill up as you delete files what are you doing? WHAT did you install? Stop anything that is running (do <ctrl><Alt><delete> and stop each application that is running one by one) and then see what is happening. You will have to empty the recycle bin as leo49 has advised. I don't know what else you'll be able to do, perhaps someone else can help from there.....

BlueMeanie 18:48 25 Jul 03

Empty the Recycle Bin, Navigate to C:\Windows\Temp and delete all the temp files, in Control Panel navigate to Internet Options and delete temporary Internet Files.

This should release some space.

bennyc 18:57 25 Jul 03

BlueMeanie instead of doing all that manually, way not just use the DiskCleanup. Find this by going Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools. Or just go into My Computer and right click on the drive you want to do this to and select properties and disk clean up at the top.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…