zapping hard drive

madPentium 18:40 11 Dec 03

I have an old 6 gig drive that I want to give to a friend, but I want to ensure my data is completely zapped. I've read that even running fdisk leaves recoverable data. Is there a free way to make sure no data remains?

Jester2K II 18:46 11 Dec 03

Format, FDisk and Format again.

Unless your friend has £0000's of forensic software then i doubt your secrets are in any danger.

Can try BCWipe -click here - has a disk wiping tool exactly for this job but costs. Then again if the data is THAT sensitive then £30 isn't much to pay....

Jester2K II 18:47 11 Dec 03

Wiping a whole hard drive. This function allows the wiping of entire hard drives which is useful where the user sells or disposes of the computer of hard disk or where the computer is re-assigned to another user. The BCWipe system includes command-line BCWipePD utility which can be used for all physical sectors on disk.

Jester2K II 18:48 11 Dec 03

Theres also a fully functional 30 day trial click here

BCWipe for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
v.3.05 1.8 Mb click here

GrahamP 18:56 11 Dec 03

Some disk manufacturers provide a zero-fill utility downloadable from their website. It may be packaged with disk analysis software.

muppetmark 19:35 11 Dec 03

click here might be worth a try ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…