"zapped" usb flash drive

murrayhouse 20:11 19 Feb 04

My son managed to apparently kill my 128 mb usb flash drive by leaving it connected while he messed about with the connection to the usb header on the motherboard. I'm assuming that the data bus got a blast of dc voltage. Since then it appears to be completely dead. It's unrecognised and the LED doesn't flash when it's inserted. I wouldn't be at all surprised to be told it was a goner, but on the off chance, has anyone got any thoughts on any way it could be resurrected. And in case anyone wonders, yes I have given my son a lecture on working on a live system!

jimv7 20:30 19 Feb 04

I had it happen to me, since then I only plug it into the rear usb ports of any machine that I am working on, not the front as the whoever built the machine can get the connections wrong.

Its more than likely to be 'burnt out', get a new 1.

AubreyS 20:31 19 Feb 04

Try it on another PC?

murrayhouse 21:29 19 Feb 04

Thanks for responses. No, it's dead on any port in any PC. Think I'll have to accept it's a goner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…