ZA free disabling run at startup

kevvyb 09:05 16 May 06

I have not updated zonealarm for some time because this happened after I updated somwhere around v 55.094.000. Sure enough when I decided to update again today (some months later), each time I set ZA to run at startup it then disables itself for next startup. So, I know it was not to do with a buggy version update. I will try a clean install again but I did this last time and it didn't work either which is why I gave up. I am running Adaware with adwatch, MS anti-spyware and ESET NOD32 all of which I stop before the new instalation.

I have installed same version of ZA on laptop and that starts up okay each time so it's something about config on my desktop. In terms of software I have different virus scanners - NOD32 ESET on desktop where I am getting the problem and AVG on the laptop where I am not. Otherwise a lot of the same software. Is there more to do to properly shut down programs than disabling in system tray before installing/upgrading?

Can I set the run at startup value directly in the registry to see if that does it? If so could someone direct me to the correct key?

Can anyone shed any light?

alan227 13:21 16 May 06

Have you checked in msconfig under the startup tab to make sure it is ticked to run at startup?.

Genius1 13:26 16 May 06

(To open msconfig, click Start, Run then type 'msconfig' into the dialogue box and select the 'Startup' tab as alan227 says.)

kevvyb 22:57 16 May 06

No I hadn't but I have now. Zone Alarm does not appear despite the run at start up being checked. What is interesting though is that there was one entry to run at startup for Spybot1.4 which I uninstalled months ago becuase a known bug that I found irritatiing. Also I have one entry that ticked that has no name. Have now removed the spybot registry entry with regcleaner and the startup entry in msconfig has disappeared.

This evening I had already also removed all Zone Alarm registry entries with regcleaner and reinstalled latest version again (clean install) to no avail. This evening I have seen the tick in the run at start up box disappear before my eyes. Having tried to reinstall the old version of ZoneAlarm that I had and which was working properly, this will not now seem to run. Reinstalled the latest ZA version again and I now have no passlock displayed so I cannot get anything through ZoneAlarm. This is weird!

This is all on a restored system image from 21/04 when things were working okay. Am going to restart again, uninstall and reinstall ZA now to see what happens.

kevvyb 23:37 16 May 06

I lied!! the teatimer Spybot entry did not disappear from msconfig. In fact there are two. One unticked as I set it and the other will just not stay unticked. Sort of mirroring the constant unticking in ZA....?

I think it's something to do with this entry. As something appears to be preventing me from disabling one of the two entries on startup is there another way of removing those two startup registry values?

kevvyb 23:39 16 May 06

oops, missed a bit, obviously found some startup registyr entries for Spybot1.4 (uninstalled months ago way before sysimage) in msconfig which will not stay unticked! Is there any way of manually removing them? I think this may be the cause.

johnnyrocker 23:47 16 May 06

add/remove in control panel (safe mode if some wont go) and start over with a reinstallation i think might be best bet

johnny.

kevvyb 07:46 18 May 06

Have now discovered that ZA free v6 has removed the passlock feature, I think making this no better than the native windows firewall. In addition it is preventing installation of older versions unless on registry prior to Have now discovered that ZA free v6 has removed the passlock feature, I think making this no better than the native windows firewall. In addition it is preventing installation of older versions unless on registry prior to uninstallation of 6.

In process of working through all this having uninstalled v6 I was also locked out of internet via my router because the uninstalltion of v6 was somehow preventing the detection of prxy settings automatically. Manually cleaning registry of all Zonelabs/ZoneAlarm entries got my browser to detect proxy settings again.

I along with many others (see ZA Forums - scroll down) need another firewall having been very happy with ZA free for years. Any suggestions.

click here

kevvyb 07:46 18 May 06

Have now discovered that ZA free v6 has removed the passlock feature, I think making this no better than the native windows firewall. In addition it is preventing installation of older versions unless on registry prior to Have now discovered that ZA free v6 has removed the passlock feature, I think making this no better than the native windows firewall. In addition it is preventing installation of older versions unless on registry prior to uninstallation of 6.

In process of working through all this having uninstalled v6 I was also locked out of internet via my router because the uninstalltion of v6 was somehow preventing the detection of prxy settings automatically. Manually cleaning registry of all Zonelabs/ZoneAlarm entries got my browser to detect proxy settings again.

I along with many others (see ZA Forums - scroll down) need another firewall having been very happy with ZA free for years. Any suggestions.

click here

kevvyb 07:47 18 May 06

link to za forums

[url]click here[/url]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…