a-z guide of installing xp - to replace windows 98

KARINA 17:33 24 Jul 03

Can anyone tell me how to install xp to replace windows 98. Basically i need an idiots guide explained in plain english as computing is not exactly one of my strongest points.
I have a Dell Dimension bought way back in September 2000 with pentium processor 3.

What i want to know is how do i install windows xp. Is my computer compatible with running windows xp without having to make any hard drive adjustments -

I do have windows 98, but was never given any disks or cds in case i ever wanted to re-install windows 98 again. When i asked Dell about this - they just said that 'they wouldn't recommend my re-installing windows 98', 'if i ever had a problem then i would have to contact them'

I wouldn't really have a clue where to start, eg what do i do with all my files etc ie photo, office, spreadsheet files that i've saved.

Please help...........thanks in advance.

spikeychris 17:52 24 Jul 03

Save everything you want first onto disk (floppy or CD) Will the XP disk be an upgrade or full installation disk? click here for help with program issues. If you have had the machine for 3 years then a clean install (in my opinion) will be the best way forward.

Its a lot easier than people think, set your BIOS to boot from CD, whilst your machine is booting up look at the screen for an indication on how to access startup. A quick search in the Dell newsgroups say You have to press the delete key during the full blue Dell screen.

This will take you to the BIOS (basic input operating system) once there you will not have a mouse to play with, it will be your up and down keys and home and end keys.

You are looking for 'boot options' use the keys to navigate, once you highlight boot options you will see what is set to boot first, yours is more than likely set to FDD first. You want CD, so use the down key until CD is highlighted and pressing the shift key at the same time click the up arrow till CD is at the top.

You need to save changes and exit (usually F10).

Make sure the XP CD is in the drive and when the machine boots it will ask you to hit any key to boot from CD...do so.

Just follow the installation prompts. You can format with the XP disk, it offers you the option. I would select format NTFS.

Input all your personal data and go and make a cup of tea.

Fingers hurting....

Chris

KARINA 18:11 24 Jul 03

Spikey Chris..........I hate to sound daft........but what is NTFS........and what sort of XP software disk would i need to buy....as i've seen various types being sold....i will try and do everything you've recommended...and see how i get on....i'm sure i'll still have a million and one questions after this......so let me get this clear......first of all i would save all my files and mp3's and photos onto cd's.....then how do i delete all the icons and files etc - or do i have to do this......or is everything just simple as putting the xp software disk into the cd-r and just follow the prompts like next etc.......please help me a bit more, because as i said before i am a dunce when it comes to computing .....i need the full 'idiots' version.........talking of idiots - - is there a book on the 'Dummies range'that can make computing more understandable - as i've just ordered 'digital photography for dummies'...thanks again Karina

spikeychris 18:27 24 Jul 03

Karina NTFS > new technology filling system. Your Win98 is using FAT32 > file allocation table. Think of NTFS and FAT32 as the foundation that Windows will sit on. NTFS is the newer version. Save all your files and folders onto disk and ignore the icons that are left, the format you will complete will cull EVERYTHING.

It really is a case of just following the prompts from the installation CD. Hand around here for a while and you will soon be banging those keys like a good un' :o)

Chris

KARINA 18:33 24 Jul 03

So chris......where would you recommend that i buy the xp software disk from..........and when you say save all your files onto disk.....do you mean cd or hard drive.........sorry to sound so duh again.........regards Karina

User-312386 18:35 24 Jul 03

what i think we need 1st is how big is Your Hard drive?

How much Ram do you have installed and what make of processor do you have?

KARINA 18:38 24 Jul 03

My hard drive is 15 GB...........madboy......

User-312386 18:39 24 Jul 03

How much Ram do you have installed and what make of processor do you have?

KARINA 18:39 24 Jul 03

and 128mb sdram memory - if that means anything....

User-312386 18:43 24 Jul 03

you will need at least 256mb ram

do you know what PIII processor you have ( it will be measured in hz)

KARINA 18:45 24 Jul 03

intel pentium 3 processor - is that the info you wanted madboy??????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…