YouTube disconnects my internet?

PianoMan91 20 May 13

Basically I've been having some issues with my internet connection, which strangely seem to occur when I'm viewing YouTube videos.

Each time I watch a video it works fine for a few minutes, then suddenly my internet connection drops. The status on my laptop still says "Connected" but I'm unable to load any pages, on any browser. The only way I'm able to get my internet connection back is to restart the computer.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 Processor Count: 2 RAM: 2999 Mb Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1308 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 228472 MB, Free - 148529 MB; Motherboard: Acer, JV50_MV Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2013, Updated and Enabled

Jollyjohn 21 May 13

What is your internet connection speed and connection set up?

Recommend Avast anti virus over AVG these days. AVG has got a bloated recently. Does the problem arise about midday when AVG starts it's default scan?

T0SH 21 May 13

It could well be your ISP is blocking you, some are known not to tolerate streaming of video other than their own content

Only way you could know for sure is if you have an alternative ISP or possibly a piggy back on some friendly local persons WIFI with a second PC to run simultaneous tests ?

Cheers HC

PianoMan91 21 May 13

Thanks for your responses.

I'm using a Wi-Fi connection with a Virgin Media Superhub. Never had any issues with it with speed- and the problem only seems to occur on my laptop and not any other devices, which makes me think it's definitely an issue with my system rather than an ISP or router related problem.

I've tried replacing AVG with Avast and I'll have to see how things go over the next couple of days- hopefully that may have helped.

Sonum 14 Jun 13

Hey there, I'm having the exact same problem. I can see it was a while ago now, did you get the issue resolved? Its really annoying, and its only happening on my main PC. Everything else is fine.

Sonum 14 Jun 13

Hey there, I'm having the exact same problem. I can see it was a while ago now, did you get the issue resolved? Its really annoying, and its only happening on my main PC. Everything else is fine.

Thanks!

sudakshin1 20 Jun 13

Hey, I too am facing the exact same problem on my PC, which is weird cos it only happens when I use youtube, the only way to gt my connection back is by restartin the PC. Please Help.

juantoothree4 06 Jul 13

Hello any updates on this? Really annoying, I have been experiencing this for a long time and couldn't find solutions when tried searching, always bad parameters.

ventoline 11 Jul 13

This usually happens to me when I move the Youtube play bar forward and backward on long videos. What I did to fix it was to reinstall AVG without Browsing Protection.

Please confirm.

ranniely 06 Aug 13

Hello. I've been having the same exact problem for weeks now. The video just stopped on 9 sec or something like that and so did my connection... but like ventoline proposed, i just turned off AVG WEB PROTECTION function, and it seems that problem is solved.

Confirmed.

Thanks ventoline!

Hi guys. I've been dealing with this problem for quite awhile, browsed the internet for solutions but there was nothing to be found, just questions, no answers. But it seems that the rumors about AVG causing this problem are true. I updated my AVG 2013 to AVG 2014 and it seems that the problems is solved for now. I'll be testing this in next few days and let you know if the problem is truly solved or not. Cheers.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message