your thoughts please

holligan 13:09 31 Aug 03

1st try at a site click here
how can i improve

Forum Editor 14:31 31 Aug 03

when you are faced with your first web-site, and you have made a reasonable start - at least you have the page on the web.

It's not possible to provide a complete tutorial here, but I can provide a few comments.

1. Consider carefully when selecting backgrounds and text combinations - you want the text to dominate, not the background. Nowadays there's a tendency towards white backgrounds with images and text displayed to best advantage, and I normally advocate that approach, but............... in your particular case I think there's every reason to go to town with some colour and texture - garden services make one think of green foliage and flowers. You'll find lots of appropriate copyright images on the web, and you should experiment. I would prefer to see an image of a colourful garden than a picture (however good) of a JCB.

2. Your page title needs revising. C.W GARDEN SERVICES in grass green with the COTTINGHAM EAST YORKSHIRE part in say, a dark chocolate brown would look pretty good. The second line should also be in a smaller font size.

3. You need more than one page if you want your business to look something on the web. I'm sure you can come up with a second page, giving a more detailed description of your services, with perhaps contact details. You can add the odd image or two as well. Close-up pictures of flowers, or even a few tools leaning against an old wooden shed would add atmosphere.

4. Take a look through some magazines and gardening books to see how images can create atmosphere. The one thing that sells your kind of service is atmospheric images - people like to daydream, and to see what's possible.

Come back for more advice, and technical help when you need it. What software are you using to design the site by the way?

holligan 16:23 31 Aug 03

So its a bit limted to what i can do.

pj123 17:46 31 Aug 03

No, you are not limited at all. As the FE says it is very difficult to read the text against the background you are using. Can't read the links at the bottom of the page either. Do you really use a JCB to do a makeover on someones garden? Find a picture of a garden instead.

holligan 15:27 02 Sep 03

any better i can put pic in but not sure about text

pj123 17:26 02 Sep 03

Your home page is a lot better, but still can't read the links at the bottom of the page. But when I click on one of them it seems to be promoting someone else's website? You need more pages telling us what you do, what you use to do it and if you have hourly charges or do you charge by the job? Do you have a minimum charge? Do you do a "no job too small" etc.?

Forum Editor 18:43 02 Sep 03

your homepage - it's far better than the original, but..............there's a long way to go before you can expect it to generate any business.

I think you should spend some time looking at other sites, get some ideas, and perhaps draw a diagram showing how you think the navigation on your site should work. You'll need to start with the basics - a homepage, followed perhaps by a page that outlines your services - along the lines suggested by pj123. Then you could have a page that gives details of how potential customers can contact you , and perhaps this page could include a map, showing where you are and which area you cover.

Finally, you could have a page with an enquiry form, so potential customers can ask for a quotation, or for more information. All the pages should have a similar background, and use the same fonts and colours, so that there's a them to the site. You can add colour and interest with images.

I know that web design can be an absolute nightmare when you are new to it, but with patience, and a bit of hard work you can create something to be proud of. Don't lose heart, keep at it - we'll help you as much as we can.

Perhaps you can let me know what software you're using to create the site?

holligan 19:06 02 Sep 03

you can only do 1 pic a page.i cant import text i cant work it out it never works

holligan 20:14 02 Sep 03

how do you do clickable links.

tbh72 21:25 02 Sep 03

click here Here's an example for you to look at. It might help to give you a clearer picture of what can be done.

Forum Editor 23:05 02 Sep 03

to keep repeating myself, but what software are you using? If you can answer that we can can probably be a lot more helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5