Your system has recovered from a serious error!

BeeWee 10:41 27 May 04

My machine has been restarting itself and returning the above message. I am running XP pro. When it restarts everything seems to be fine again (until the next time) Is this something to be very concerned about and is there anything I can do about it?

johnnyrocker 10:44 27 May 04

run the usual anti spyware/trojan busters, failing that if a new occurrence try system restore,

johnny.

BeeWee 10:58 27 May 04

Thank you johnnyrocker. I regularly update and run these progs. to keep my computer in good shape. I don't think the restore would work as it wouldn't go back far enough.

€dstowe 11:02 27 May 04

Do you have a temperature monitor installed? Might be worth a check to ensure it's not overheating.

spuds 11:03 27 May 04

I get this message all the time. Keep promising that I will do a complete re-install.

BeeWee 11:38 27 May 04

£dstowe - I don't think I have!

spuds - so it's not critically serious?

eeeeek.... I wouldn't want to have to do a complete reinstall.

hugh-265156 12:06 27 May 04

get windows all up to date click here

then click:

start/control panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery/settings

untick 'automaticaly restart'

now instead of a restart when windows has a critical error,an error message will be displayed instead.

write it down exactly and type it into the 'search (Kb)' box click here to look it up for a fix maybe.

also have a look in event viewer:

start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer

click the system and application tabs and look for errors listed with a red x.click on them for more info and maybe a link to microsoft for a fix.

events shown in yellow here are just for information.

spuds 12:13 27 May 04

Its critical for a smooth running system,and I would suggest that you solve your problem with the advice given, but I am just to lazy to do anything about it at present.Living with it, but perhaps a system crash imminent (;o(

BeeWee 12:31 27 May 04

huggyg71
Have done all that you advised! There were loads of red x's in the event viewer but when I connected to microsoft it said "no user action" so I have just left it.
I have now d/l the latest version of spybot and that has picked up 12 nasties which the earlier version had missed. I ran the old version prior to d/ling the new one..that's how I know.

Thank you all for your help

carper 12:37 27 May 04

Good Info huggyg 71. keeping it for future

hugh-265156 12:59 27 May 04

not sure sorry.

sometimes you may see errors listed with the text stating something like

'the following program failed faulting application example.exe'

then when you view the link it says no user action is required.

try working your way through all errors listed anyway and see if there are any with solutions avaiable.

if you have never been in event viewer before you may have listings going way back.what i would do now is clear the lists.right click the system and application tabs and select 'clear list' (you can save the current list if you want to) this at least will give you a clean slate and errors from now on will be listed and easier to find.

if you have unticked automatically restart the next time you get a critical error you should be presented with a blue screen and an error.make sure to note it down exactly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…