'Your PC cannot be restored'- help please?

AngeTheHippy 10:23 23 Oct 05

Morning chaps,
The last couple of days (although this has happened very infrequently over the past couple YEARS)I go online, and AM online, but browser, whether I use Firefox or IE cannot load any page. I use Google as start page, so I get the message 'cannot fine Google...'. I tried to do a restore, but whatever point I select, get a message 'Your PC cannot be restored to an earlier point' - I've just looked to double check, and system/hardware/restore is not ticked in the off position
Back to being online, but no pages loading - in the past I've gone off-line, done a restart and usually that puts the PC back into a better mood and all is fine, but yesterday and this morning, this didn't happen so readily. Had to restart twice today.

Any ideas whats happening please? My OS is XP (sp1) use AVG daily and spybot & ad-aware.

AngeTheConfusedHippy
xx

Graham ® 10:42 23 Oct 05

Two things to try:

Check the filing system: Start, Run, 'sfc /scannow', OK.

Look in the Event viewer for errors.

Also instal SP2 and set to check for MS updates.

AngeTheHippy 11:01 23 Oct 05

OK, done the sfc /scannow in start/run - it performed the scan but nothing seems to have been flagged, so maybe assume all is OK there.

Just looked in Event Viewer - mmmm - LOADS of entries - for todays, as an example, there are 3 warning(yellow)triangles, all after AVG appears to have started(it's set to scan every morning, by the way)when I click on the warnings, this is what came up:: <<Windows saved user YOUR-xxxxx\Ange registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.>>

Does this mean that I've tried closing down the PC whilst something still running?

Ange

Graham ® 11:05 23 Oct 05

Not sure. Do you get the option to send the report to Microsoft? That may produce a better explanation.

AngeTheHippy 11:12 23 Oct 05

As soon as the sfc /scannow finished, it just left the screen. Nothing else happened.

I'm VERY, very aware of installing SP2 on this PC. I've read sooo many problems have been caused to users PCs that I'm scared to install it, to be honest...

AngeTheHippy
x

Graham ® 11:39 23 Oct 05

The option to send to Microsoft should be in Event Viewer.

SP2 problems are old hat now, even the Forum's gone! You can always uninstall it if you wish.

Your best bet may be to do a repair of Windows, if you have the CD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 23 Oct 05

" I'm VERY, very aware of installing SP2 on this PC. I've read sooo many problems have been caused to users PCs that I'm scared to install it, to be honest..."

Of course what you see on the forum is a relative few people with problems NOT the thousands of people who have installed it sucessfully.

I have installed SP2 on over a hundred PCs with out problem.

Mainly problems with the install appear to be when SP2 is installed on PCs that have a virus or certain spyware on the system.

From your frequent postings on the forum I am sure you kow your way round a PC and we can solve any problem that (probably wo'nt) occur.

Do a scan with Adaware, Spybot S&D and your AV software prior to install.

Install SP2 from a CD if you have one, cuts down the possibility of a corrupt download file.

AngeTheHippy 11:52 23 Oct 05

thanks for this. I think I'd better bite the damned bullet and install SP2. I'll wait 'til I'm nice and focused then tackle it. I think I've got it on CD, so will look in one of the (loads) of boxes STILL not unpacked, even though we moved 8 MONTHS ago.

hi Graham ®, yeah - I do have the windows CD supplied with this Evesham PC...better keep it handy I think!!

Off to play a Badminton match now, so

see ya all later.

AngeTheHippy
xx

€dstowe 12:15 23 Oct 05

SP2 installation problems are always caused by some fault in the XP on the computer that SP2 is being installed on. There is obviously a problem with your computer (hence this thread).

The best thing to do is save anything you want saving and do a clean re-install - quickly followed by SP2 before anything goes awry.

If you're unsure how to do this, there are lots of threads here giving recommendations.

AngeTheHippy 08:35 24 Oct 05

that option is SUCH a pain though - apart from copying off ALL the stuff I've got on it(I started a backup 2 weeks ago then gave up cos there was so much to do...). Just looked in 'event'folder again; there are 3 sections to look in - in the 'System' list, the vast majority of reports are the 'information' with white triangle, which I assume are OK. The handful of yellow warning triangles, are W32Time messages. In the 'security' list, every entry is a yellow key sign with 'success audit' against it. So, it appears it's only in the applications list there are these errors. Does this throw light on anything, chaps?

g'morning, by the way...

AngeTheHippy
xx

€dstowe 09:08 24 Oct 05

Good morning!

I think, from the reports you are giving, especially the SP2 failure, that a new install is the only practical way forward.

It may be a pain to do but so is trying to rectify numerous errors and faults on the system as you now have it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…