Your Comments please

Mukeboy 00:31 28 Oct 05

Go on, rip it apart!

click here

Kind Regards
M

Haol 10:45 28 Oct 05

i think it's good that you have the larger font option as this helps people that have vision difficulties to read the text better, i like the use of divs, the links to other useful sites, and the site map was original i liked it being in alphabetical order and the colours are easy on your eyes. Overall very good information and design.

De Marcus 15:53 28 Oct 05

I like it, it 'does exactly what is says on the tin' so to speak. clear, informative, accessible and easy to navigate, well done.

mco 17:21 28 Oct 05

I like it too - but - could you change the 'Advise for students' on the front page to 'Advice for Students' - and make a languages teacher very happy?!

Forum Editor 17:22 28 Oct 05

you've done a good job.

Think about:-

1. The committee images. At least one of them is a passport photo, and one of them looks as if you've resized it in your design software. Images are very important - they add hugely to a site's appeal - and it might be worth spending a few pounds on getting each person to sit in front of the same background and have someone with a digital camera take several shots of each of them - from precisely the same distance. You'll end up with sharp images and a uniform look. The images will also be the same physical size. You might be surprised at how much difference it will make.

2. A couple of images on the home page would make the site seem so much more friendly. Again it's a small point, but again it will have a dramatic effect.

3. The links page might look neater for being laid out in a table. Text in the left-hand cells and hyperlinks in the right.

PurplePenny 20:35 28 Oct 05

A nice accessible site: I bet it does well in a Bobby, Cynthia or A-Prompt check. Why not put your A rating on the site?

I agree with FE that it could do with an image or two on the home page. Remember that accessibility is for everyone and building an accessible site doesn't have to mean that you have to leave images out. If you haven't already read it (which you may well have done since you've obviously read up on accessibility) take a look at this WebAIM article on graphics and accessibility. click here

Since you have worked so hard on the accessibility I'm going to nitpick some of it. Please don't think that I'm critising your work, it is just that you've done such a good job that it is a shame for it to be marred by a few problems.

You've started each page with <h2> (unless I'm being blind and missing the <h1>!), the first heading should always be <h1>; if that is too big then make it smaller in the style sheet.

You've also used <h> tags for the top and bottom navigation (with the result that h5 is missing on two pages which it shouldn't be). They aren't headings so they shouldn't have heading tags.

(An unordered list (again styled in the CSS) seems to be the preferred method amongst accessibility gurus. Personally I can't see what is wrong with a series of links separated by characters: maybe it is something to do with the way that text only browsers display them; but then I thought that was the point of using characters between them instead of just whitespace.)

The alts that you've used for the photos are the same as the surrounding text. Apparently that is really annoying for users of screen readers like JAWS (because they hear the same thing twice). Although standards (and accessibility) validation requires that the alt *must* be there, many people favour a null alt (alt="") rather than repetative text. I've also read some people writing in favour of an empty alt (alt=" ") but then others said that the space character also gets read out so it is just as annoying.

Finally the JavaScript should have an onkeypress, as well as onclick, to make it work for those who can't use a mouse. I recently saw a post on an accessibility forum saying that the problem with having both an onclick and an onkeypress in the code is that under some circumstances the event gets triggered twice. The poster gave a sample code which got over that problem by using onkeypress="this.onclick()".

The JavaScript should have a noscript as well but since it is a style changer there is not much that a noscript could do. Maybe it could bring up some text explaining that the style changer won't work without javascript and telling users how to change the text size using their browser .... or would that be patronising 'cos' they'll probably know how to do that already?

Anyway .... nice site. XHTML Strict too!

Penny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple