Your Classic version of BT Yahoo! Mail is closing. You need to upgrade now

Diemmess 10:38 AM 21 Jul 13
Answered

So goes the message in my inbox repeated 5 minutes later

It looks Kosher, colours, text, logos and source, except that by these messages I should have been unable to use the BT Yahoo for a month! I have made no changes nor have I had any difficulties with email. With email particularly I do not make changes unless I really must.

Is this just a polished bit of phishing?

Secret-Squirrel 10:42 AM 21 Jul 13

It's almost certainly a genuine e-mail but you can check here to be sure.

lotvic 12:17 PM 21 Jul 13

BT's customer page about changing to new bt email click here

Diemmess 13:04 PM 21 Jul 13

Spurred on by your favourable comments I clicked where told and immediately had File Blocked Phishing ahead A clear label to go back all prettied up with a Google Chrome logo.

Perhaps I am safe because I use Google Chrome as browser, btinternet is my provider.

Repeat that what bothered me was the date of Mid -June when if not updated I would have no email service.

lotvic 13:16 PM 21 Jul 13

Diemmess, I can hardly believe you clicked on a link in an email you were suspicious about... If you had checked out BT links - Secret-Squirrel's and mine - you would have been able to check the email (and the links in it) properly.

Secret-Squirrel 13:19 PM 21 Jul 13
Answer

"Spurred on by your favourable comments I clicked where told"

Before you clicked, did you first check the address of the link as mentioned in that BT page I provided earlier?

"what bothered me was the date of Mid -June when if not updated I would have no email service."

How do you manage your e-mails? Is it with an e-mail client (such as Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Live Mail) or do you instead use a web browser (such as Chrome)?

Diemmess 14:15 PM 21 Jul 13

OK I accept that opening the original was not a wise act.

Any other suspicious mail is deleted unopened or occasionally to the spam folder till I'm certain it is not genuine

What I failed to do was look at the sender's address first. The tell tale was the sender name - [email protected]

I was impressed by the really genuine-looking BT pretty logo and background.

I use a browser, Chrome and that blocked it.

morddwyd 19:17 PM 22 Jul 13

It's noy spam.

I was changed to the new system without clicking on anything.

I posted about it

click here new system is dreadful.

The

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED