You really should back up... and here's how you sh

originalmiscellany 18:02 15 Mar 07

Just lately i've been thinking about backing up files, and although I back up files and keep a copy in my home, the files are never actually stored offsite, so it's not a great backup system. If the house burns down, i'm knackered.

So... i've been looking around at prospective solutions to this issue. I've tried a few, including Carbonite (good, but not free), XDrive (good, but doesn't work on Vista) and Mozy (just plain good!). For me, Mozy is the winner by a long stretch. Here's some of the features...

FREE!
Supports Vista / XP / 2000 (no mac / Linux support tho)
2GB storage (unlimited $4.95 per month)
Access files from the web (important... can get files from the mobile then!)
Advanced custom backup config, scheduling and throttling
Explorer integration
Strong encryption
Support for big files
If you are looking for a new backup solution or if, like me, you're just plain bad with your backup schedule... you should check it out.

click here

Disclaimer: For every one of you that signs up on that link, I get an extra 256MB storage... but you get a bonus 256MB too!

Any opinions please?

hexane 18:30 15 Mar 07

I've got a lot more than 2GB to keep backed up and I'm using Carbonite which I thinks works out slightly cheaper than Mozy and is unlimited.

However, I guess if you can get enough people to sign up on that link then you're home and dry!

al7478 18:39 15 Mar 07

so is it free or isnt it? you say it is, hen you say its $4.95...? Sorry, but its really quite irritating when that happens.

Noldi 18:49 15 Mar 07

BT digital vault is 1GB free. and extra if you have an account with BT.

Noldi

Diemmess 18:54 15 Mar 07

What's wrong with a 2G pen drive?

If your data is your business and job and you live "over the shop" then why not a caddie tray system and a small fireproof safe on the ground floor?

If it is only a home system with valuable personal data then back to the pen drive and save it under the kitchen sink or round your neck.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 15 Mar 07

I'm afraid I cheat a little, backed up with Acronis copied the file in a password zip folder and saved that on the works server.

Hope no IT man from work reads this.

Technotiger 20:11 15 Mar 07

Hmmm, this looks like advertising to me - I thought that was not allowed on this Forum!

originalmiscellany 08:08 16 Mar 07

a search on me would show that i've been around here for years! I started posting on here back in 1999 under a different name, which I changed to reflect my more serious nature. Waiting 8 years to get an advert in would be a gross waste of my time, and you could rightly belittle me if that indeed was the case! (It isn't!)

Technotiger 12:04 16 Mar 07

but it still looks like an advert to me.

p;3 12:09 16 Mar 07

I read this to see what the 'back up' was all about but have to agree with others that it is really 'advertising' which is not allowed on this forum

am sure FE will be along shortly

originalmiscellany 12:45 16 Mar 07

as an ICT teacher in the West Midlands, I assure you I have no sales pitch!

And it's free, so where is the problem?
Hey ho; sorry for offending you all :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple