You must have identical memory chips!

pcbobby 12:11 25 Nov 05

Following the useful advice of members with regard to memory upgrade.
I found that the Crucial website was able to identify the appropriate chip for my Pentium III. 500Mhz
I currently have three banks – one of which contains a 128MB.
Crucial inform me that the maximum memory that I can safely use is 384MB.
I promptly ordered a 256MB chip.
However, on further reading of guidance, I appear to have goofed in my haste.
It seems that all chips the banks must be of the identical values. In other words, I should have bought two 128MB chips to run with the 128MB currently in place.

So then, would you advise that I just remove the 128MB chip, and be happy with just the new 256MB chip?

Chegs ®™ 12:21 25 Nov 05

Tends to be "suck it and see" with RAM.Try it with all memory,if it crashes then use the single stick.

pcbobby 12:35 25 Nov 05

Chegs.Thank you.

ACOLYTE 12:50 25 Nov 05

Didnt the older pentium pc's have to have matching pairs anyway? 2 of the same kind.

spuds 12:54 25 Nov 05

I tend to try the higher mb ram in the first bank, then use lower mb [decreasing] in other banks.Seems to work on my computers.

pcbobby 13:50 25 Nov 05

ACOLYTE. Not sure about older Pentiums, this is my first, bought 1999.

spuds. I note your comment.

woodchip 13:52 25 Nov 05

The small memory stick should go into the lowest number Mem socket 0 or 1 followed by bigger mem stick

pcbobby 14:01 25 Nov 05

woodchip. Thank you.

ade.h 14:09 25 Nov 05

I ran my old P3 550 with a mix of sizes but all of the same spec and brand. It didn't work woith the original chip but that was because the new ones were ECC.

pcbobby 14:21 25 Nov 05

ade.h . Thank you.

Chegs ®™ 14:33 25 Nov 05

Conflicting advice from spuds and woodchip.One says start with highest size 1st,the other says lowest size.

Still reckon its a case of "suck it and see" though,obviously trying the RAM in various order of size. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…