You do not have permission to access this folder!

Newuser3350 12:41 10 Aug 09

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - if it has I couldn't find it - but I'm using Windows 7 and there seems to be two icons for My Documents. When I double click one of them I get the message 'You do not have permission to access this folder' which is very annoying especially since this used to happen with Vista and I'd hoped MS would've fixed the problem. Are there any solutions?

BurrWalnut 13:17 10 Aug 09

The location of XP folders like Documents & Settings and History are no longer in the same place. They are displayed when ‘hidden files’ are displayed but they are ‘Junctions‘, i.e. they are there for historical reasons so that old programs that would normally use them are redirected to the new Vista and Windows 7 locations. Junctions can be recognised by having a little padlock on the icon and cannot be accessed.

You can see a list of these folders using a command prompt. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > Run, type cmd /k dir /al (note the three spaces) and press Enter. The results will be a list of all the Junctions for the user folders, showing the name of the old XP user folder and the name of the new folder in brackets.

Newuser3350 21:55 10 Aug 09

Many thanks for that reply, BurrWalnut.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…