You can't keep a good OS down.

canarieslover 15:10 16 Jan 14
Answered

It seems that 30% of PC's still run XP so Microsoft are extending security updates into 2015. click here

Bris 16:34 16 Jan 14

At first site it would seem that Microsoft have relented, however, reading further into the link it says that its only Microsoft Security Essentials that will be kept up to date and that no more security patches for XP will be released.

I dont know whether the BBC have got it wrong but I cant see the point of MS just updating signatures as its the security patches that really matter!

Batch 09:15 17 Jan 14
Answer

Speculation that Windows 8 is dead (for example, see The Times, 14-Jan-14). I did wonder if that might force MS's hand in to extending XP support as, otherwise, until Windows 9 is deliverable, forcing people off XP means moving to an OS (Win 7 or 8) that is already old hat.

canarieslover 09:48 17 Jan 14

That it was going to get any level of support was surprising. So too was the 30% figure. I know that there are a lot of poorer users out there to whom an upgrade would be an unwanted expense, but I have also seen several businesses still running it. My son still has two on XP but that is to run hardware and software incompatible with later OS's with no upgrades available on either. What he will do when his hardware breaks down I don't know, but in the meantime neither computer is internet connected so even this latest announcement doesn't interest him.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017