You CANNOT Upgrade Dell Computers

Ken Ju-On 18:42 14 Aug 03

That was what my friend said to me. She said "You can't upgrade Dell computers by yourself at all. You have to take them to the manufacturers to upgrade them. If you do, the PC will crash."

I want to prove her wrong. Is this really true?

Ken Ju-On 18:48 14 Aug 03

I've never used a Dell PC, so anyone who has used and upgrade one please tell me. The above statement seems crazy to me.

oliverdore 18:53 14 Aug 03

I can't possibly believe that a PC would crash from a user upgrade. If that is the case, then the manufacturer would have a stranglehold over customer upgrades, which would - no doubt - be in breach of some trade law or other. We would certainly have heard something of that before now, and Dell would not be as popular as a result.

-oliverdore-

krypt1c 18:53 14 Aug 03

You can upgrade if you wish,provided you use compatible kit. EG you can't upgrade the CPU if you motherboard doesn't support it, you can add another HDD if you've a free bay etc. However, if you upgrade Dell, and lots of other suppliers, may refuse to honour warranties - K

TechMad 18:55 14 Aug 03

If your Dell machine is under warranty, upgrading may void this.

Ken Ju-On 19:02 14 Aug 03

Yes, Kryptic. But what I'm hearing is that "It's impossible to upgrade Dell computers by yourself. If you do, your computer will crash. You must ask Dell to upgrade for you."

Make sense to ya?

Not to me.... lol.

Rayuk 19:10 14 Aug 03

Sounds like an utter load of rubbish to me.

mikef. 19:10 14 Aug 03

Rubbish, we've got Dell computers at work and the computer department regularly upgrade them, in fact I watched them replace a duff floppy disc player last week.

krypt1c 19:33 14 Aug 03

Hi Ken - As everyone else is saying unless Dell have inserted some fiendish tool it's a load of bs - lol back at ya

Sir Radfordin 19:39 14 Aug 03

You can upgrade a Dell PC in the same way as any other without any problems. It is more than likely you will invalidiate the warranty if you do, but thats not only true of Dell.

If you upgrade any XP machine too many times you are likely to have to re-activate but that shouldn't be a problem.

VoG II 19:43 14 Aug 03

She probably meant to say "VoG cannot upgrade a Dell computer. If he does it will not work."

LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…