Yorhost, my domian has stopped working

James106 10:04 AM 23 May 12

I have two domains registered with Yorhost. One of these stopped working a couple of days ago. Emails I have sent to Yorhost have been unanswered, their LiveHelp is off-line and their telephone line is closed. I fear the worst!

Due to my current experience I searched the web today and found that back in November 2011 others had a similar experience. I found nothing more recent than this.

My main question is what do I need to do to get the domain that is now not working working again and what should I do about the domain that is at present working. I guess I need to find a different ISP. My memory from the last time I moved ISP's (in 2004) is that I would need bits of information from Yorhost to do so. What would happen if I can't get this?

spuds 13:01 PM 23 May 12

You could try http://www.nominet.org.uk who might be able to offer some advice?.

James106 14:02 PM 23 May 12

Thanks for that. Very helpful. I've been told by Nominet that the domain has been suspended as its not been renewed. My choice is to get Yorhost to renew or find another ISP. I don't see any prospect of Yorhost doing the renewal. Any recommendations of an ISP would be most welcome.

spuds 14:42 PM 23 May 12

Different people have there own preferences, but I have used 1&1 http://www.1and1.co.uk for many years without having problems, with regards their services.

They also remind subscribers about 6/8 weeks before a domain expires, so that it can be renewed. Payment is automatically taken for renewals, unless you inform them that you do not want to retain the domain, and then perhaps let someone else have the domain for future use (safeguard?).

Woolwell 16:52 PM 23 May 12

I am sorry to bring you bad news. I have just discovered that Yorhost is the new name for webmania which I think went bust. About 18 months ago I had major problems with webmania with the renewal of a domain name. They didn't answer e-mails or letters and the phone wasn't answered. To transfer the hosting of the domain name I had to get a transfer form completed to get the tag on the domain name removed. I got the form from nominet and sent it to webmania. No reply from them at all in spite of prompting. It was only a small amount of money and I wrote off the domain name and established a new name and account with a reputable company. I regret that I do not hold out any hope that you will be better off.

Teddie5000 16:18 PM 08 Aug 12

I have had two new customers this month request help with moving a .com domain away from Webmania. I have written a blog article here on how to do it:

Nominet is easy (.uk)

ICANN (.com .net etc) is much harder.

http://www.edwin-cooke.co.uk/blog/2012/08/help-with-web-mania-accounts/how-to-get-your-domain-away-from-web-mania-ltd/

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…