Is this yet another phone scam

bumpkin 22:19 PM 19 Dec 12

I have had several recent calls where the caller has hung up before I can speak to them. Did not bother me to start with but are now becoming more and more frequent so I did 1471 and was told the number was 051022 and I could call them back but may be charged which means of course I will. It is also a very odd number. Anyone else had this or got any comments.

compumac 22:24 PM 19 Dec 12

Had a lot of these in recent times. I put it down to companies abroad that autodial several numbers at a time and their operator/caller takes the first one and leaves you out till the next time.

lotvic 00:06 AM 20 Dec 12

I agree with compumac, it happens a lot and seems to concentrate on one area code for a few weeks then move on to next area.

bumpkin 10:42 AM 20 Dec 12

Thanks, that seems a reasonable explanation.

spuds 10:52 AM 20 Dec 12

I notice that one or two heavy fines have been given recently on the companies that have been traceable.

But will this make much difference, because I doubt it when mega bucks are being made, and actual enforcement in prevention is poor!.

rdave13 10:59 AM 20 Dec 12

This might be of interest, Who Calls Me

bumpkin 13:15 PM 20 Dec 12

rdave, thanks for the link, same number I see. So just a nuisance rather than anything more sinister.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

ZAK releases more videos showing what happens if you ask other professions to work for free

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know