Is this yet another phone scam

bumpkin 22:19 PM 19 Dec 12

I have had several recent calls where the caller has hung up before I can speak to them. Did not bother me to start with but are now becoming more and more frequent so I did 1471 and was told the number was 051022 and I could call them back but may be charged which means of course I will. It is also a very odd number. Anyone else had this or got any comments.

compumac 22:24 PM 19 Dec 12

Had a lot of these in recent times. I put it down to companies abroad that autodial several numbers at a time and their operator/caller takes the first one and leaves you out till the next time.

lotvic 00:06 AM 20 Dec 12

I agree with compumac, it happens a lot and seems to concentrate on one area code for a few weeks then move on to next area.

bumpkin 10:42 AM 20 Dec 12

Thanks, that seems a reasonable explanation.

spuds 10:52 AM 20 Dec 12

I notice that one or two heavy fines have been given recently on the companies that have been traceable.

But will this make much difference, because I doubt it when mega bucks are being made, and actual enforcement in prevention is poor!.

rdave13 10:59 AM 20 Dec 12

This might be of interest, Who Calls Me

bumpkin 13:15 PM 20 Dec 12

rdave, thanks for the link, same number I see. So just a nuisance rather than anything more sinister.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off