Yet another memory question

wotbus@ 09:03 25 Jan 05

XP Home SP2 AMD3000+ with some but not too many programs/photo's/files etc installed. I have 512ddr fitted and use Casheman5.5. The spare memory indicator in the taskbar is always around 200mb +/- 30'ish. Just lately I have been using a program which is very memory hungry, Studio8 [photo to slideshow with additions], and often the spare memory indicator goes into double figures - sometimes as low as 60-70. OK, it's still spare even if it is'nt so much but the FAQ of this particular program suggests the following for a "low memory system"...Start>Run>msconfig>startup>disable all>.
Out of curiosity I tried this, restarted the PC with all disabled. Ran Casheman to check and guess what = It was still indicating 200mb [+/-] spare BUT the rendering and burning of a disc from the program [Studio8] was fast and without problem, not like before with minor glitches. Does my PC as it is, really consume 300'odd mb of memory just to tick over???

harps1h 09:18 25 Jan 05

a general consensus is that it takes 256mb to run xp smoothly. if you intend running memory intensive programs i would suggest that you invest in another 512mb ram. you will find a marked difference if you are multitasking. go to crucial and use their tool to help pick the correct ram

wotbus@ 09:53 25 Jan 05

I am in tbe process of upgrading the memory [have been for a couple of months!] and it's just the use of this new program has highlighted the need to speed the order up a bit LOL. I was just a bit surprised to see that disabling everything except the program I was using, made no difference. I suppose in this case its the CPU taking the strain. Cheers harps1h.

wotbus@ 13:30 25 Jan 05

My mobo handbook tells me it supports PC3200[400mhz], PC2700[333mhz], PC2100[266mhz] and PC1600[200mhz] DDR Ram. Everest tells me I have PC2700[166mhz] fitted [one bar 512mb]. Now the dilemma - what to choose to upgrade? Fit the same is the usual answer but that would mean fitting higher capacity of slow speed! Something inside me says junk [or sell] the existing bar and replace it with PC3200[400mhz][512mb] with a view to adding another of the same later on. Does this make sense or is capacity not speed the crux of the matter?

wotbus@ 13:45 25 Jan 05

Hmmmm - after a trip around Crucial it would appear the best thing to do is go for the PC2700 to match that already fitted. :-)

harps1h 21:06 26 Jan 05

always get the same speed of ram as the slower will slow down the faster. to be honest if you had the money i would go to the faster ram and sell the ram you currently have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…