Yet another crap LiveUpDate from Norton

playmofire 15:38 19 Jan 06

I've just run LiveUpDate on Norton 2005 and, once again, find I cannot send or receive email with Thunderbird. This happened only recently and took about two days to sort out and long calls to Norton. I now create a restore point before I run LiveUpDate and hopefully this will let me get round the problem.

playmofire 15:48 19 Jan 06

Yes, after a system restore everything's fine again.

So much for Norton protection.

pj123 15:55 19 Jan 06

So why are you even bothering with Norton.

My own opinion but I wouldn't have anything Norton on my computer.

Lettervanman 16:03 19 Jan 06

I have also had the same problem in the past,I use O.E. If you do a search you will find how to sort this out and it will not take two days!
I would think that if you use system restore then you will not have got the latest updates,or have I got that wrong?
I am now on NIS 2006 and still had the problem with updates a while ago. In trying to sort this out I found the auto checker on Symantec site. This told be that I had an old version of updater despite having 2006.I downloaded latest version and have had no trouble since.

May be worth a try!

playmofire 17:05 19 Jan 06

I certainly don't intend to use again when my present subscription runs out.

Whereabouts is autochecker on the symantec site? A search brings up nothing.

sunny staines 17:14 19 Jan 06

my fix was unistall norton via the control panel then reinstall from norton cd then all the updates work ok with email.

Lettervanman 18:58 19 Jan 06
  961 19:00 19 Jan 06

If you don't like it why not change now rather than wait for the subscription to run out?

click here Try the free edition. It's great

rmcqua 19:24 19 Jan 06

Just before I read this, got a call from my Mother in Law, who doesn't know a virus from a hard drive, and she has just up-dated (and re-subscribed to) Norton. In the process, her system has undone a whole load of changes which we had made to her start up programs (eg. to prevent MSN Messenger running on startup).
No real problem, just half an hour on the phone talking her through the msconfig options, but rather annoying nevertheless.

playmofire 20:46 19 Jan 06

Well, I've still not found autocheck on the Norton site - a search brings nothing useful up and I don't find any links with that name.

I'll look closely at Avast. Thanks for the link.

Lettervanman 21:00 19 Jan 06

Don't understand that,when I click the link that I have posted above it goes to the Symantec USA and right in the middle is a graphic saying let Symantec solve your technical problem.
A click on this opens the utillity to check your Norton,do you not get this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…