yet another braodband problem

picklefactory 12:54 30 Sep 06

I've seen, and read numerousr issues on PCA withregard to b/band speed problems. I've tried to take what info I could from them but haven't seen one yet that duplicates my set up. I'm on Plusnet up to 8Mb, I was seeing a connection speed of between 5.9 and 6Mb with downloads of up to 4.5Mb/s at best. I was like that for around the 1st couple of months after upgrade but in the last month or so my sync speed and obviously d/load speeds have dropped through the floor. I now only seem to be getting at best 4.5Mb sync speed with anything between 283Kb/s (Now)and 1mb/s d/loads. I've used some links that dipso provided in another thread to find what my line should be capable of from dslzone which says 'Your line is capable of 2.5 Mbps or above' and I've checked the BT profile tester which tells me
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3968 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 218 kbps
Looking at some of threads, I wonder if part of my problem could be that I do not have an external router, I am using an internal PCI card which gets switched off with the pc (Conexant Accessrunner ADSL WAN adaptor)so I am obviously disconnecting/reconnecting every time pc is switched off. Could this be affecting my stable rate?
I've tried DrTCP with no improvement, and I'm still wrangling with Plusnet, as I have been for over 3 weeks now, but all they have done so far is lots of speed tests and have now said that my line is 'within acceptable operational parameters' and given me no actual help or recommendations at all.
Anyone out there who can help? I'm currently thinking of sacking Plusnet, but I want to make sure there is nothing in my setup that could be affecting this.
Thanks

picklefactory 13:01 30 Sep 06

Can't even spell broadband

Forum Editor 13:09 30 Sep 06

Broadband connection speeds are subject to all kinds of external factors - not the least of which is contention. As more and more people connect you'll be in contention with them, until, on a home connection in a worst-case situation you'll be contending with 50 other people for the same bandwidth. That will slow you down considerably, and the speed will fluctuate as people come and go. Get a handful of illegal downloaders going full blast and you'll really know what contention is all about.

Apart from that, connections speeds can be affected by hardware in the exchange and/or line quality, or faulty microfilters or telephone cables inside the house.

picklefactory 13:18 30 Sep 06

Thanks FE, I know that I cannot expect fantastic speeds at all times, but I was getting very good speeds pretty consistently across various time frames over at least 2-3 months, but in the last few weeks it's suddenly dropped through the floor, as mentioned, my d/load speed today is only 218kbs, that's pathetic compared to what was getting. I followed a large thread from numskull where he had a huge amount of help from dipso which seemed to be a similar issue to mine and there seemed also to be quite a number of actions possible to try that apparently made a significant improvement to numskulls situation. It all looked to hinge around stuck stable rates and other things I don't really understand. I couldn't quite follow all of the things that numskull was advised to do due to not having the same setup. I was hoping there might be similar things I could try.

chub_tor 13:23 30 Sep 06

Take a look at this discussion forum click here for broadband. It was originally set up for freedom to surf customers but quite a lot of other broadband users subscribe to it. There are a lot of common sense discussions that are easy to follow if you search for poor download speeds.

picklefactory 13:27 30 Sep 06

Thanks chub_tor, I'll check it out.

Dipso 13:56 30 Sep 06

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3968 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 218 kbps

One of the reasons your speed is limited is your profile is only 283 kbps therefore that is the maximum download speed you can get. Your sync speed is 3968 so you could potentially get download speeds of 3 Meg and should have a profile of 3000 but your current low profile is restricting your speed.

It will take 3 days for your profile to increase but the constant disconnecting/reconnecting is obviously causing a problem here.

The only way to avoid this would be to either leave the PC switched on and the connection live or go for a modem/router, which may be the better option. Routers aren't that expensive now, around £40.

Unfortunately USB/PCI modems even though "compatible" with up to 8 Meg, aren't so suitable in reality.

Dipso 14:03 30 Sep 06

To add...I will be glad to help you out further if things don't improve but I'm off-line at the minute and can only get access for short periods of time.

See if you can stay connected for 3 days and do the BT speedtest again and post back.

Contention can be an added issue but that's not what's causing the problem in your case.

picklefactory 14:09 30 Sep 06

Thanks Dipso. I'll leave the pc switched on for a few days and see if that helps and I'll get a router on the go.
Any suggestions on why it was OK for a couple of months and then drops and stays dropped? And why I was seeing consistent sync speed of around 6Mb but now only averaging around 4-4.5mb? Again, is that something that I can improve within my set up?
I tried to follow some of the advice you gave numskull, using the BT test socket directly (No noticeable difference either way), DRTCP etc, but I couldn't get a result. I'll see what this does and repost in a few days time.
Cheers for the advice

picklefactory 14:10 30 Sep 06

PS. I've done various BT speedtests at the request of Plusnet, so if leaving pc on doesn't improve the situation there is a fair amount of info I have to hand that may be of use.
Thanks again

Dipso 14:21 30 Sep 06

Could be a number of things. Your line could have become more "noisy" caused by anything from a dodgy filter or external interference. Internal extension wiring can be an issue but you have already connected through the test socket which would eliminate this and if you get the same SYNC speed through it (remember it will still take 3 days to improve download speed) then you can't improve on that.

Can you post your line stats, your downstream SNR/attenuation or more detailed stats if you can and I'll see what they show.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac