Yes / No dialog box during boot up?

mgmcc 12:57 08 Feb 05

In one of my XP installations, during boot up a dialog box appears on the Welcome screen. It has a yellow triangle with exclamation mark, a "Yes" button and a "No" button - nothing else!

Clicking "No" continues immediately to the Desktop. Clicking "Yes" seems to run something for about 15 secs and then continues to the desktop.

Booting in Safe Mode doesn't produce the box. However it is still present if, in msconfig, I disable Process SYSTEM.INI file; Process WIN.INI file; Load System Services; Load Startup Items.

Ideas?

ACOLYTE 13:17 08 Feb 05

Without knowing what the yes/no box is for it might be hard to tell you how to stop it,you could try booting to safe mode,command prompt then it will list progams and you could see what loads.

mgmcc 13:25 08 Feb 05

Thanks, but as it doesn't appear in "Safe Mode", I'm not sure that booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt is going to identify it.

FelixTCat 16:20 08 Feb 05

Try booting withlog file enabled. Windows writes every stage ofb the boot to a file called bootlog.txt (I think) on your C: drive. It might take a few minutes to read the file, but it shows everything that loads during the boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…