Yes it's me again!!!

Bodice 17:35 05 Jan 04

I wanted to know where the disc for the pc my friend was given is, she told me she was never given one I spoke to a friend of mine who told me that because its win98 it is on the p.c,
My question is, where? he said it should be in directories, next question where is this?? I have searched her pc for this directory and cannot for love or money find it.
I have XP and it is in my pc help and tools part, she does not have this.
can anyone help me.....

Gongoozler 17:45 05 Jan 04

The Windows 98 installation disk SHOULD be a cd, some suppliers tried to cut costs by only supplying the operating system on the hard drive, but the installation cd was the norm.

Forum Editor 17:51 05 Jan 04

may have a preinstalled version of Windows - one that was on the hard drive when the computer was new. In that case it's normal for the manufacturer to provide what's called a restore disk - a CD that will return the machine's software configuration (and Windows) to it's 'as new' state.

The Windows files will be in a separate (and usually hidden) partition on the hard drive, and when Windows needs a file - a driver for instance - it trots off and gets it from the hidden partition.

Everything works well until you want to format the hard drive - or install a new one. If you just forge ahead you'll find that you have a machine with no operating system - and no way of getting one - unless you fork out for a brand new Windows 98 CD (although you wouldn't do that, you would buy WindowsXP).

You will find a directory called 'Windows' on the computer, but that isn't the whole thing, and you should not, under any circumstances, attempt to alter it or the computer won't work.

Why are you looking for the disk anyway - is there something wrong with the computer?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:17 05 Jan 04

has she a restore disk?

G

TheTerminator 18:34 05 Jan 04

i always remeber them being tucked away in C:\windows\cabs
and there were about 50 cabinet files which had all the infor needed to run and setup win 98.
Is this the one?

If not, search for .cab files and see what turns up.
they were called cab1.cab or something like that up to cab50 something, and there was a hillarious file called mini.cab. oh those microsoft bards!

woodchip 19:08 05 Jan 04

Look in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs

Bodice 19:14 05 Jan 04

Thank you for the information, To the editor, the pc had problems and was'nt running properly, somehow, and with some info from users on here its a lot better, the reason why I was asking about the cd was if for any reason she needed to do a system restore how would she go about it as on my pc its all there in my program menu and I couldnt find anything like that on her's and she was never given a disc...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…