Yen to Pound

ArrGee 18:34 11 May 07

Hi all,

I have a laptop running XP Pro, with a Japanese keyboard. I have the correct keyboard drivers installed to enable all the keys correctly, however I would like to change the Yen key to output a pound sign.

Any ideas?

rodriguez 18:37 11 May 07

Go to Control Panel, Regional Settings and change the keyboard layout to UK (assuming the Yen sign is in the same place as the £ sign).

ArrGee 18:42 11 May 07

Thanks, but the layout is different. The @ key requires no shift, the Yen is two keys down and two keys to the left from the top right of the keyboard, and, when shift is on, the following result is produced when pressing the keys 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9:

!"#$%&'()

The UK keyboard route messes up the layout, so it has to be set to Japanese layout with English output.

ArrGee 23:09 11 May 07

<Bump>

Ashrich 23:27 11 May 07

You can always buy the keyboard overlay foils to change it to a UK keyboard , what make and model is the laptop , you may be able to get a lightly used UK keyboard for it on eBay .

Ashley

ArrGee 23:53 11 May 07

It's a Fujitsu Lifebook FMV B8230.

I just want the Yen key to recognise itself as a Pound sign, so I'm sure it can be done through some software tweak. Just have to find the tweak!

Enoch 00:02 12 May 07

The Yen symbol ? can be found in Symbols in MSWord

Woolwell 00:17 12 May 07

You may well need a Keyboard Mapper Software. A search using Google indicates that it seems to be quite difficult to customise your keyboard under XP. Google turned up a few programs eg click here
and there were others. How good they are I do not know.

ArrGee 00:52 12 May 07

Enoch - Thanks, but not quite an answer to my original post! Thanks for looking though.

Woolwell - Cheers, I did the same but they all seem to be mappers for key shortcuts and mainly for Alt, Fn, Shift and CTRL.

At present the Yen key produces a back-slash (\).

I want this to be a pound sign, whilst retaining the actual back-slash key, which is a different key.

ArrGee 11:18 12 May 07

<Final bump>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…