Yellow ???'s and !!!'s on Device manager

Bens Mom 18:51 07 Jan 09

Is it ok to have yellow question and exclamation marks in the device manager against the following -
DVD and CD Drives ?

If not, howe do i clear them?

Any help much appreciated as I know you guys are all great at that...
Ps Its for a DELL Dimension running on XP which I recently had to do a complete system rehaul on.

MAJ 18:57 07 Jan 09

Are the drives working okay? Double-click on the device with the yellow marks and see what it reports in the Device Status section.

woodchip 18:59 07 Jan 09

Click on the drive and uninstall it, then reboot to see if windows loads the correct drivers. Only other thing I can think is that the drives are sata and need Drivers that windows does not have, have you got all latest windows updates loaded?

Technotiger 19:00 07 Jan 09

This might help ... click here

Bens Mom 19:03 07 Jan 09

Ahhhh,

It says -
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Is it ideal to try and reload them on from the Resource disc which holds device drivers?

MAJ 19:12 07 Jan 09

Yes, Bens Mom, load the drivers from the resource disk.

birdface 19:36 07 Jan 09

Or try driver max.click here

MAJ 19:39 07 Jan 09

I wouldn't bother with Driver Max, it can cause more problems than it's worth if you're not sure what you're at.

DieSse 19:46 07 Jan 09

"Is it ideal to try and reload them on from the Resource disc which holds device drivers?"

If they are IDE interface drives (ie PATA) - then Windows itself has the drivers for them - there are no other drivers.

MAJ 19:55 07 Jan 09

It is likely that the drives are PATA, and as you say, don't need drivers. I'm waiting to see if the resource disk cures the problem re: Technotiger's post. If it doesn't cure the problem I intended to post this link click here to save Bens Mom going into the registry.

birdface 21:08 07 Jan 09

Hi MAJ.Regarding Driver Max.Are you speaking of a bad experience that you have had with it.Let us know what happened and we might not use it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now