Yahoo/Lycos server not available...?

I haven't changed any settings, yet for the last 2 days I can't loggon to either Yahoo/ Lycos inboxes. Only thing new is I've d/l MS updates. Error message I get is "Server can't be found or you may need to adjust your browser". Also can anyone give me definitive POP3 & SMTP settings for Outlook as mine seem to work for anything between 1hr & 1 week before going AWOL.
I run Win XP & provider, NTL (600kb Broadband)
Regards, Gareth

Valvegrid 19:50 04 Jul 03

Incoming mail is pop.lycos.co.uk

Outgoing mail is smtp.lycos.co.uk

And make sure in the 'Outgoing Mail Server' at the bottom, the box is ticked 'My server requires authentication'

They have upgraded their server so this may have caused you a problem.

Oh, one other thing, connect to lycos via the web mail and clear the aggregated emails that may have collected, as these are not downloaded via POP3.

There is quite a good help section when you sign into the web mail.

Good luck

Paul.

Cheers Paul, will try that.

Paul, still no joy & I have the same with Yahoo. Surely they cant both be on the blink. How do I adjust browser settings?
Gareth

Valvegrid 20:26 04 Jul 03

Are you collecting your email via Outlook Express 6? If so can you copy and paste here exactly what the error says which may give a clue. There's nothing wrong with lycos, it's one of the most reliable email servers I've used, I have been with them for about four years, I'm not sure about Yahoo, I did see a thread saying that they were going to chrage for email use, but I don't know when.

Paul.

I agree Paul, Ive never had hassle with Lycos before. I use Outlook 2000 because I sync with my phone (XDA). Like I say I presume it isn't with Lycos or Yahoo because I can get my yahoo mails through Outlook inbox! Never successfully managed to get Lycos to sync with Outlook even though the settings you posted are the same as I've tried. Beats me. Gareth

uttaraka 10:12 07 Jul 03

I haven't been able to get into my Yahoo inbox either. I get the cannot find server/DNS error. This is mega serious as I work for the NHS from home and mail is building up. If anyone can tell me what to do in simple words I would be very grateful
KatyN

Valvegrid 10:47 07 Jul 03

Have you tried entering your email account vis the web mail on the Yahoo site: click here

Paul.

uttaraka 10:57 07 Jul 03

Thanks, I tried that already and I also tried your link - guess what? I got this page cannot be displayed.

Thanks for responding anyway
KatyN

Valvegrid 13:09 07 Jul 03

I'm at work at the moment, I also work for the NHS, and I can get in from here. Some sites are a problem sometimes, so give it a try when you get back to work, I think the NHS use BT.

Looking at your user name you must be a Midwife? :-)

Paul.

uttaraka 13:00 08 Jul 03

Thanks for responding - I'm not using an NHS computer- they're down/treacle rate at my Trust. I'm not a midwife!!

I'm trying a service called supportpoint - 3 hours and still no joy

KatyN

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…