Yahoo Web Mail and Java Script support

Charlie Babbage 21:10 03 Oct 05

A friend has Yahoo web mail. On the initial Yahoo! Mail page it states 'You need to have JavaScript enabled in order to use the new design.'

My friend has IE v 6.0 and has enabled active scripting and Java applets and allow paste operation via scripting. My friend runs Windows XP Home edition with SP2.

My friend also has problems with her bank account site which also states that Java scripting should be enabled.

I suspect that her version of IE v.6 may be corrupted but could there be any other reason? If it is corruption, what is the best way to reinstall IE 6.0? My friend does not have any original set-up discs.

VoG II 21:13 03 Oct 05

Try installing Sun Java click here

Charlie Babbage 21:21 03 Oct 05

... at the moment I'm getting the dreaded HTTP 500 Internal Server error 'Page cannot be displayed' for your link. Yes, we are still connected to the Internet! Does the link work from your end?

VoG II 21:24 03 Oct 05

Yes it works fine here (just tested) and if you do get it to load I apologise for the 'music'.

Charlie Babbage 22:39 03 Oct 05

... can your link be loaded from your computer and from my computer but not from my friend's computer?

I accept that VOG has far more knowledge than me but I'm not convinced that downloading from the Java site will help if, indeed, IE v 6.0 is corrupted in some way.

Would it be best to re-install IE 6.0 first of all?? If you do a re-install of IE from the Microsoft site, do you have to delete the existing version of IE first of all. (Apologies if this is on the MS site - I've not looked there yet!!)

anchor 09:25 04 Oct 05

I suggest you install Microsoft Virtual machine which I find better, (and works with every Java site I have encountered. I installed Sun Java once, but removed it as for me the MS version worked better). Microsoft Virtual machine used to be included with a windows installation, but due to a legal wrangle, it had to be left out in XP. However, you can get it here:

click here

After installation: Open Internet Explorer, click on Tools menu on the top bar, select Internet Options, Advanced tab, scroll down to "JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled".
Ensure this ticked and re-boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…