Yahoo scam - is there a good tutorial for removal please?

stugra 19:43 PM 08 Nov 13

You will recognise this!

My friend has given access to his laptop to a scammer this evening purporting to be from BT Yahoo and who had identified malicious software running on his computer.

My friend gave them access to his laptop by installing TeamViewer, so it has to be assumed that he has now got malicious software and data logging on his PC.

This is the same regular scam that occurs with others who claim to be from Microsoft.

My question is can anyone point me in the direction of a really good guide on how to remove any potential threats that could have been installed? I have removed malware (Malware Bytes) and viruses before, but I am nervous of helping my friend out and leaving something behind.

I have read on one site that I would have to do a complete reinstall of windows. Another site just says do a system restore and malware/virus stuff.

I would really appreciate some guidance from anyone who has been through this before.

Thank you.

On the plus side, he didn't pay for any services and has not logged on to any bank since the connection.

The laptop is now fully disconnected and shut down.

Woolwell 19:51 PM 08 Nov 13

System restore to before TeamViewer was installed and full anti-virus and malware scan. Change passwords for banking, email etc could be a good idea.

stugra 19:54 PM 08 Nov 13

Thanks Woolwell

Reformat - reinstall is a bit OTT then??

Woolwell 20:10 PM 08 Nov 13

Microsoft advice for the MS phone scam A full scan with a good anti-virus and anti-malware not MS product. IMO a full reinstall is not required. Back up data though.

rdave13 20:33 PM 08 Nov 13

I wouldn't be happy at all with team viewer used by a thief. Lord knows what key loggers or rootkits are installed. If it was me, and for peace of mine, I would do a clean install. Just my personal thoughts.

rdave13 20:35 PM 08 Nov 13

Hmm got thrown out PCA and had to log in again. Typo, mine = mind.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay