Yahoo messenger security

vaughan007 00:51 10 Feb 04

I have always wondered about the security issues with this sort of software.

I know a few people who use Yahoo Messenger quite frequently and they have told me that when they are chatting they sometimes get messages from other people in the chat room saying they are "going to be hacked" or "get ready for their nasty surprise" and other similarly unpleasant messages.

I have always said that these threats are probably benign and just meant to cause upset and worry.

But is it really possible that someone could hack you PC or something similar just by using Yahoo messenger and knowing your ID name, etc?

hugh-265156 01:11 10 Feb 04

chances of being "hacked" are slim to say the least.keep windows and any software up to date with security patches and be careful who you give your details to and you should be fine.

click here click here click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:25 10 Feb 04

'But is it really possible that someone could hack you PC or something similar just by using Yahoo messenger and knowing your ID name, etc?'....NO chance. If they knew your password they could hack your ACCOUNT with Yahoo and pose as you, but that is all. Any of the persons on chatrooms,claiming to be able to hack a computer, have more chance of winning the Lotto 30 times over.

G

vaughan007 10:05 10 Feb 04

This is pretty much what I have always thought.

I always tell my friends that the yahoo messenger server and yahoo messenger software will be so tight that any potential hacker would have difficulty achieving anything through that route at all. I am pretty sure they would not be able to find your IP address using it as I dont think there is a direct connection between computers and all traffic is routed through the yahoo messenger server.

As far as I can tell this would pretty much leave the hacker down a dead end as the only personal information they would know about you would be what was in your yahoo profile (which I dont think is specific enough for any hacking attempt)

Like you say, I think the worst they could do would be to guess your password.

Anyway, I think my friends will rest a little easier having heard this from someone else and not just know-it-all me.

mdshamilton 12:16 10 Feb 04

If you or your friends happen to receive a transferred file via Yahoo or MSN Messenger - don't open it!

vaughan007 12:32 10 Feb 04

Of course you can get sent a worm or trojoan through yahoo or any other messenger software, which if opened would make "hacking" your PC quite a lot easier!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced