Yahoo Messenger login problem

claluc 11:46 18 Jul 06

Am having a problem with Yahoo Messenger, when logging in the popup appears" Yahoo Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to shut down"
Followed by the usual MS option to send or not error report.
I have tried uninstall and clean re-installs, also tried older versions from 5.0 onwards up to the latest with voice. All load correctly and come on OK but at sign in the problem is always the same.
I can connect to Yahoo website and use the same account for e-mail,no problems, the problem only shows up with Messenger.
I also use MSN Messenger 7.5 without any problem whatsoever.
My browser is Mozilla Firefox with which I have not had many problems so far.
OS is Win XP Home.
Help please.

ArrGee 12:13 18 Jul 06

Just use MSN Messenger instead. It works with Yahoo messenger sending as well.

click here

claluc 23:08 18 Jul 06

No it doesn't.
I doesn't recognise yahoo profile and password.

Jimmy14 23:15 18 Jul 06

I was going to suggest you uninstalling and installing again but as you have already tried it what about a fresh install of your operating system. Do you have the operating system cd at hand and all the software for your peripherals and internet?

johnnyrocker 23:26 18 Jul 06

a bit drastic to attempt to get a messenger working.

johnny.

Jimmy14 23:28 18 Jul 06

any better suggestions?

johnnyrocker 23:30 18 Jul 06

try clearing cookies and temp internet files

johnny

johnnyrocker 23:31 18 Jul 06

try different browser to try and troubleshoot?

johnny

claluc 13:07 19 Jul 06

Thanks for your help so far.
Tried accessing from IE instead, also cleared cookies etc,run 2 different spyware checkers antivirus, same result.
I have also tried a repair through Add/Remove programs, this runs to near the end then locks asking for a correct path (unfortunately all double-dutch to me!)leaving no option then to cancel it.
I can't clean install OS again, unless someone tells me how one can do a total backup of the present system.
I had tried this on a previous PC and lost tons of files and software despite the backup.

claluc 10:38 12 Aug 06

Not solved but will close this thread anyway.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5