Yahoo Messenger login problem

claluc 11:46 18 Jul 06

Am having a problem with Yahoo Messenger, when logging in the popup appears" Yahoo Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to shut down"
Followed by the usual MS option to send or not error report.
I have tried uninstall and clean re-installs, also tried older versions from 5.0 onwards up to the latest with voice. All load correctly and come on OK but at sign in the problem is always the same.
I can connect to Yahoo website and use the same account for e-mail,no problems, the problem only shows up with Messenger.
I also use MSN Messenger 7.5 without any problem whatsoever.
My browser is Mozilla Firefox with which I have not had many problems so far.
OS is Win XP Home.
Help please.

ArrGee 12:13 18 Jul 06

Just use MSN Messenger instead. It works with Yahoo messenger sending as well.

click here

claluc 23:08 18 Jul 06

No it doesn't.
I doesn't recognise yahoo profile and password.

Jimmy14 23:15 18 Jul 06

I was going to suggest you uninstalling and installing again but as you have already tried it what about a fresh install of your operating system. Do you have the operating system cd at hand and all the software for your peripherals and internet?

johnnyrocker 23:26 18 Jul 06

a bit drastic to attempt to get a messenger working.

johnny.

Jimmy14 23:28 18 Jul 06

any better suggestions?

johnnyrocker 23:30 18 Jul 06

try clearing cookies and temp internet files

johnny

johnnyrocker 23:31 18 Jul 06

try different browser to try and troubleshoot?

johnny

claluc 13:07 19 Jul 06

Thanks for your help so far.
Tried accessing from IE instead, also cleared cookies etc,run 2 different spyware checkers antivirus, same result.
I have also tried a repair through Add/Remove programs, this runs to near the end then locks asking for a correct path (unfortunately all double-dutch to me!)leaving no option then to cancel it.
I can't clean install OS again, unless someone tells me how one can do a total backup of the present system.
I had tried this on a previous PC and lost tons of files and software despite the backup.

claluc 10:38 12 Aug 06

Not solved but will close this thread anyway.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…