XXClone conundrum

GaT7 23:28 24 Aug 05

I tried the free version of XXClone after seeing Happy Soul's suggestion at click here.

Everything appeared to go OK - can see all the files/folders as they are in the original drive - but the drive I cloned to won't boot giving a non-system disk error.

Prior to cloning with XXClone, I chose the following options:

1. 'Make the target volume bootable after backing up the entire volume',

2. Write MBR, Boot Sector & Boot.ini (for the target volume), &

3. 'Use the alternative wallpaper on target desktop' in Adv Setup (so one can easily tell which drive has actually booted up).

On reboot the system automatically boots from the original drive. So I disconnected the original drive but still no boot with the newly cloned one, giving the same error as above.

Could the problem be due to the original drive letter being D: while the newly cloned drive is C:? The registry will point everything to D: while there's only a C: drive, wouldn't it? Or, am I deluded?

You may ask why I'm getting up to this tomfoolery in the first place...

Well, when I installed WinXP (Pro) for the first time on a SATA drive, I had an IDE drive (containing Win98se) present in the system with drive letter C:. I'm assuming D: was the next logical choice for Windows setup to choose - & so it did.

Now I don't have the IDE drive present anymore, & trying to transfer everything to another SATA drive so that C: (instead of D:) becomes the primary/boot partition.

So we have 2 NTFS formatted SATA drives present with no RAID. There are no problems with either in Device Manager or Disk Management. The source partition D: is 10Gb & the target partition C: is 15Gb. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, G

Completealias 23:38 24 Aug 05

Don't really know much about this but at a guess I'd say you'll have to edited your boot ini file as as you say its looking to boot from d: drive and you only have a c: drive installed

Completealias 23:39 24 Aug 05

Don't really know much about this but at a guess I'd say you'll have to edited your boot ini file as as you say its looking to boot from d: drive and you only have a c: drive installed

GaT7 00:03 25 Aug 05

Source (original) drive D:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Target drive C:

[Boot Loader]

timeout=10

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XXCLONE: Windows (Cloned Volume) [d:0,p:1] \WINDOWS" /fastdetect

Anything look amiss?

Should I change the [d:0,p:1] in the line above to [c:0,p:1]? G

EJ1947 16:27 25 Aug 05

Did you make a floppy boot disc as it suggests at the start? This lets you boot into either drive.

EJ1947 16:39 25 Aug 05

PS the option to make the floppy boot disc is in the advance setup options - you make this then go back into the main menu to clone your hard drive. I have used it twice now without a hitch.

Happy Soul 16:45 25 Aug 05

Crossbow7, I guess EJ1947 is probably right, as that's exactly what I did, or rather never did, the first time. Start again but make sure you tick the box Make floppy boot disc. Yep, it was staring me in the face and I missed it. I didn't change any of the other settings.

I assume the floppy will only be required should the main HD go down allowing you to boot from the second.

I had planned to follow the original thread but with 'My Postings' out of action at present, I couldn't find it.

Happy Soul 16:45 25 Aug 05

Crossbow7, I guess EJ1947 is probably right, as that's exactly what I did, or rather never did, the first time. Start again but make sure you tick the box Make floppy boot disc. Yep, it was staring me in the face and I missed it. I didn't change any of the other settings.

I assume the floppy will only be required should the main HD go down allowing you to boot from the second.

I had planned to follow the original thread but with 'My Postings' out of action at present, I couldn't find it.

GaT7 17:01 25 Aug 05

Thanks. Yes EJ1947, I did that but I still cannot boot from the target drive - sorry forgot to mention that in my first post.

For the TARGET drive I also:

1. Changed the [d:0,p:1] in the line above to [c:0,p:1] - see my previous post.

2. Replaced the Boot.ini file with the source drive's boot.ini (made a backup copy before doing this).

3. Edited the registry 'files' as much as I could (in wordpad/Word, so not very effective) - replacing all the D: with C: wherever possible. I must've replaced only a fifth of what the source drive's registry contained (*see below).

All to no avail.

I cannot change the drive letter of the system/boot partition - if I could I would've done it, & there would be no reason for me to use XXClone or post this thread.

Reckon the only way may be to reinstall the OS & make sure I install to C: this time - unless someone knows better.

as thinking of purchasing Acronis True Image (ATI) for this & other backup purposes, but I'm not too sure if it would've done it either. G

*Before you think I'm insane, I used a program called Registry Crawler which is VERY quick in finding entries which are displayed in a list - like RegSeeker, but quicker. And for find/replace I used MS Word.

GaT7 17:05 25 Aug 05

Thanks Happy Soul. I think the original link is click here (included in my first post - 1st/2nd line). G

"as thinking of purchasing Acronis True Image (ATI)..."

should read

Was thinking of purchasing Acronis True Image (ATI)

GaT7 17:06 25 Aug 05

Thanks Happy Soul. I think the original link is click here (included in my first post - 1st/2nd line). G

"as thinking of purchasing Acronis True Image (ATI)..."

should read

Was thinking of purchasing Acronis True Image (ATI)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…