An xtra drive that killed the printer?

jack 08:54 17 May 05

I have atring of drives like this
A C D[Zip]E&F[optical] a multi card reader
[GHIJK] external HDD[L]

Whilst doing a print run , I operated the 'remove' drive button, in preparation to take out the camera memory card[ I am printing from images in 'C']

When the 'Remove' window came up I found a had aquired an 'M' drive
All the other drives it all stop at 'L'
The legend said Mass storage.
So I clicked delete.

The printer promptly stopped mid sheet and ejected.

what you all make of that?

Diemmess 09:24 17 May 05

Your mishap was probably a result from the way the various drives were accessed, I bet the camera and external HD don't always take the same drive letters?

I am not convinced that the "Remove drive" button is necessary at all. I realise that corruption of files and folders is a possibility, but I have not had that happen.

Obviously it is not a good idea to disconnect while files are open and being saved or edited, but this removal procedure is not part of 98SE, and simple disconnection didn't cause me any grief.......I was always careful not to switch off the USB HD while it might have been in use.

Now using W2000, I am prepared to accept a scolding for disconnecting first but have yet to suffer any snags by doing this.

I'd be interested to see what others have to say.

belt&braces 10:32 17 May 05

Hi Jack

If your printer as a built in card reader, then it would probably have shown as a mass storage device, mine does.

If you have deleted this, then I would think that you will have to re-install the drivers for the printer.

Sans le Sou 15:36 17 May 05

Yes a reinstall should resolve this. As belt & braces has indicated the card reader comes up as a MSD, got one on my Epson too.

Sans le Sou 15:51 17 May 05

Comes up as removeable drive (G) as I do not have the number of card readers that you have

Diemmess 16:11 17 May 05

If it is a MFD then this is a small snag peculiar to gizmos that try to do everything. That must also include "pure" printers which take a card straight from the camera and can by-pass the computer for instant "Happy Snaps".

Either way the "remove device" button would seem to me to be both unnecessary and occasionally a possible trouble maker? (.......Ducks down behind a wall!)

Sans le Sou 16:23 17 May 05

Drive just goes away when the printer is turned off and comes back when turned on , also comes and goes in device manager. No need to use "safely remove device"

jack 20:04 17 May 05

Silly me the answer came to me on the ytrain to town this morning
The other day the printer flipped and need a reinstall. this was not a clean one so an E-mail to Epson- came back with a 3 page unistall routine
including editing Windoze OEM inf files.
Re Reinstallation this time inclyuded the printers card slot, which previously I have managed not to install, as I dont use 'em.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…