XPSP2.........install or not?

Acerak 13:26 09 Sep 04

I use XP Pro and had auto update set to download automatically. I recently downloaded SP2 but I've heard so many bad stories about it such as PC's crashing and nurning after it was installed, that I don't really want to stick it on. Nor do I think I really need to as my current firewall/pop-up blockers seem to work just fine.
Anyhow, I'm just looking for advice - it's sitting on my task bar waiting for me to click install.
Another thing though, will I be able to get rid of it unless I install the thing. I thought I could just say no but every time I turn on again, it's there waiting for me.............

Stuartli 13:44 09 Sep 04

Yes, install it, especially if everything is working well.

Create a System Restore point, close down everything that is running and then install.

If you do, by any chance, have any problems you can uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove Programs or revert to the System Restore point.

You can use the Security Centre to disable XP's firewall and Pop-Up stopper (the latter also from IE's Tools>Internet Options>Privacy tab) as you desire.

I installed SP2 10 days ago and nothing amiss has happened to date (famous last words?).

€dstowe 13:47 09 Sep 04

I have had SP2 installed on 15 machines for several weeks now. They are all still behaving as they should.

ventanas 13:50 09 Sep 04

Installed on 37 machines and not one problem. As Stuartli says, it will be in add\remove if you want to get rid of it.

Acerak 15:18 09 Sep 04

Cheers folks - feel a lot safer now!!!

THE TERMINATOR 16:36 09 Sep 04

I have just got SP2 on disk from a mag, and I will do a system restore point BEFORE INSTALLING(even though a restore point is automatically made), so I have somewhere to turn back to if anything goes wrong....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…