XPS 420 Going to die aged 1 month?

lisa02 11:44 03 Feb 08

Well the machine has been buggy and slow for 2 days. This morning RAID manager warned me one of the member disks had a read/write attempt fail.

I can hear the hard drive chugging and the desk is vibrating.

When this error occurred I marked the disk as "OK" as that's what option it gave me.

Should I have done that? Is it dying?

XPS 420
Q6600 CPU
3 GIG RAM
2 X 320GB HDDs in RAID0
Vista Home Premium

crosstrainer 12:20 03 Feb 08

Sounds more than likely that one of your hard disks is about to go belly up...Machine should still be under warranty? If so, return for a reolacement asap.

crosstrainer 12:38 03 Feb 08

Should read replacement :)

lisa02 13:57 03 Feb 08

Vista crashed, I had to hold in power button and it offered a disk check.

Upon doing disk check there were no bad sectors and the verdict was the "the disk is clean".

This is strange. Computer seems normal again.

crosstrainer 14:00 03 Feb 08

Drive still noisy, and making the table vibrate? Also, can you hear clicking from it...Another sign of dying hdd's,,,I would still have it replaced, they can die quickly, not all are perfect, and whilst you have the option, I'd still have it replaced :)

lisa02 14:16 03 Feb 08

No.

How can I ask for it to be replaced if there is no fault now?

crosstrainer 14:17 03 Feb 08

Isn't noisy anymore then no, you can't...If you get another Raid warning then you could opt to replace.

lisa02 15:16 03 Feb 08

I'm beginning to think that Vista crashed and this was a freak, one off thing to happen.

I have since opened the case and made sure the cables where secure. It seems one of the cables coming from one of the HDDs was sort of kinked/looped and wedged between the 'Air Shroud' and the side panel.

Since untwisting it the vibrating seems to have stopped, although you can hear and feel the fans whirring, when you touch the tower.

All utilities I have ran have come up clean, namely a Vista disk check and "pre-boot" system test.

Still confused but clear that I won't buy another Dell.

lisa02 15:16 03 Feb 08

I can here the HDDs but it seems to be normal sounds.

Totally-braindead 15:57 03 Feb 08

If you know that make of the hard drives you could try some of the manufacturers drive tools EG Maxblast for Maxtor and I think Seagate.

If you can do this they can check the drive much more thoroughly than windows can.

lisa02 16:00 03 Feb 08

Samsung.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…