XP/ME Networking Problem

DwayneDibbley 14:51 03 Mar 03

I have a desktop running XP which I am trying to network with my laptop running ME. I am only setting up to share files, not internet & have a separate LAN for my cable modem for my desktop.

I have installed NICs, patch cable etc and all works OK - Device manager says everything works fine, and I can also 'ping' between PC's from both laptop and desktop.

I have also disabled firewalls, so that connection is not blocked.

I can access my desktop shared files from my laptop (ie via My Network Places), but cannot access my laptop from my desktop.

In fact, my desktop cannot even see the network. When I click on the workgroup computers icon under My Network Places, the computer waits for a couple of minutes until I get the message;

" 'Workgroup (i.e.name)' is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The semaphore timeout period has expired"

Things I have tried to fix include;

- Installing NETBIOS protocol for LAN TCP/IP settings
- Adding password to login

But have now run out of ideas. Any one else got any?

Cheers

Gaz 25 16:41 03 Mar 03

Open My Connections or Network Connections from Control pannel, then right click LAN Connection, go into properties click on Internet properties TCP/IP and click settings or properties and tick > Use following IP address then type: 192.168.0.1 to assign the PC 1 a IP, this may already be done, then click in subnet mask then this should auto configure. 255.255.255.0 or something simalar(Main PC with Printer and files or just decide it is PC1).

Do the same to PC 2 but give it IP address of 192.168.0.2 and if any more PC's go uo from there: 192.168.0.3 would be the next.

If in future you do want to share internet connection make sure in Advanced..,ON PC2 ONLY you add a default DNS Gateway, IP address 192.168.0.1 where 1 is the number of PC 1 shareing Internet conenction.

Hope this helps.

Gaz.

PS. Let me know how it goes on.

DwayneDibbley 17:24 03 Mar 03

Thanks Gaz, but have also tried that one - hence ping between PCs with no probs.

Gaz 25 17:36 03 Mar 03

Or is it like that all the time?

Try disabling and enabling your Network card, or re setting up Network set-up wizard. Do not use set-up disks just select use the one I already have.

If still no luck, make sure files are shared and they exist.

Hope you get it working.

Gaz 25 17:36 03 Mar 03
  DwayneDibbley 17:45 03 Mar 03

Yep - like it all the time. Tried disabling & enabling card, and have lost count how many times I have re-run the network configuration wizard! Files are also all shared.

Cheers anyway - I'll check out the website.

Failing that, I may have to resort to Microsoft support!

Gaz 25 17:54 03 Mar 03

Hope you fix it.

Gaz 25 22:48 04 Mar 03

searching this site for Networking. Should be some hel;p there.

Regards,
Gaz

DwayneDibbley 08:46 05 Mar 03

What site?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…