xphome, scannow problem

denchris 16:24 06 Aug 04

I am having a problem with sfc /scannow,I have XP home SP1,upgrade from 98se, I run scannow and I am told that "to run properly files required by windows must be copied to the DLL cache. insert your windows xp pro sp1 cd". This I can`t do, having xphome, I have tried my xphome disc and win98se and each time I am informed "please insert correct disc" ie win xp pro...any one help please ?

BurrWalnut 16:58 06 Aug 04

You may be able to run it from a hard disk location. A mininum of 4 registry entries (SourcePath and ServicePackSourcePath) contain pointers to where the files are. They are either in a hard drive folder (i386), on an optical drive or possibly both. Problems can arise when drive letters have been changed after the initial install, e.g. adding a new drive or implementing a dual-boot system will not update the registry pointers to the i386 folder. It's worth reading this click here particularly if you only have a recovery CD and this Microsoft site click here

denchris 17:12 06 Aug 04

Thanx BurrWalnut,I will digest your links and post back later

denchris 17:26 06 Aug 04

My gaster is flabbed ! Having digested your help, it seemed wisest to do the easiest bit first so I used the other rom drive !!!!
You can guess the rest ? many thanks..my cheeks are a little pink now..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…