XpHome No Booup

mak2 18:27 31 Jan 04

When I start the Pc, it all starts ok but then stops at the XP logo.

I have tried using the recovery process, I've run Chkdsk and Bootfix, but can't get the system to boot.

Can anyone suggest anything else

Rayuk 18:28 31 Jan 04

Have you tried booting up into safe mode?

mak2 19:11 31 Jan 04

Yes, tried it, no good

VoG II 19:13 31 Jan 04

What about "last known good configuration" (assuming that it has ever worked).

mak2 19:48 31 Jan 04

Yup tried that too.

JJCUK 20:17 31 Jan 04

Have you just added new hardware or software ?

mak2 23:39 31 Jan 04

No, It was working one day and failed the next boot.

JJCUK 01:16 01 Feb 04

do you have an XP cd, and if so can you boot from this and attempt repair

mak2 10:50 01 Feb 04

Yes I can boot from the cd, i've done bootfix and chkdsk using the cd, but still no good.

JJCUK 16:51 01 Feb 04

have u tried

chkdsk drive /p /r

The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and, if necessary, repairs or recovers the drive. The command also marks bad sectors and recovers readable information.

You can use these options:
/p : Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information

then maybe

fixboot drive name:

Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default of writing to the system boot partition. FIXBOOT is supported only on x86-based computers.

fixmbr device name

Use this command to repair the master boot record (MBR) of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that needs a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

WARNING: This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or a hardware problem exists. Using this command can result in inaccessible partitions. Microsoft recommends that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

mak2 22:36 03 Feb 04

I've tried all this but it still won't boot up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…