XPHome install - blank screen on bootup

pcandy 17:37 09 Mar 04

I've installed XPHome on a new 80Gb hard drive in my Mesh Matrix Athlon 800Mhz. Install took over an hour, but it got there.

However, on the first reboot after the install I see the loading XP screen for a second then the screen goes blank for 3 to 4 minutes before going to XP.

I've reinstalled twice, but it is still the same.

Microsoft helpdesk have not been very much help so far.

Any answers please.

spanneress 19:23 09 Mar 04

Not sure how much help this is..but a customer of mine recently experienced this problem and it transpired it was his graphics card clashing with XP..which is not an altogether unheard of problem... might be worth checking the drivers are signed / compatible etc...

billyliv 19:54 09 Mar 04

Hi, Try starting in 'Safe Mode' and see how long it takes. Cheers Bill

MESH Support 09:30 11 Mar 04
  pcandy 12:44 12 Mar 04

Thanks all

Tried the safe mode option; hung for a few minutes after loading mup.sys then went to XP ok.

However, I've now found that the XP Help does not work and it cannot see my DVD or CD ROM drives. So when I was trying to update the Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS drivers to latest versions, as suggested by spanneress I couldn't (I'd burnt them onto a CDR).

Will send all details to Mesh Support and see what we can do.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Paul

uskfisherman 14:53 12 Mar 04

I bought a new PC (Fujitsu Siemens) with XP homeand how well it worked, that is until I installed Partition Magic 8. I cant tell you what I did but if you want to mess anything up completely them I'm the one to ask. Nothing would work at all, safe mode, restore, recovery disc, etc etc. In order to use my machine, I managed to install XP Pro which I have working OK. I see on PMagic that there is a hidden partition at the start, which must be the suppliers XP Home installation. Does anyone know a dmmies guide to resurrect this partition please.please.please.

pcandy 12:15 20 May 04

Fixed it!

Mesh said I needed to install XP SP1; Microsoft said I needed to 'flash' the BIOS. As I couldn't install SP1 as XPHome would not install the core OS; I took a deep breath and having read all I could find on 'Flashing' I did it and lo and behold it worked!

Thanks for all your advice.

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…