xp(home ed) laptop refusing to startup

stevenjwatt 08:07 09 Mar 03

Hi

I was trying to fix the cd burning on my dad's laptop. I reinstalled directcd. It then wanted to reboot which I accepted, but now it will not boot up at all. I just get to the screen with the options of booting up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, and start normally. However, using the safe modes it gets up to agpCPQ.sys then freezes. In either of the other two modes it gets to the winxp screen then freezes (but the little moving bar below the logo keeps moving).

I do not have access to the winxp cd and the laptop does not have a floppy drive.

Thanks in advance!

Steven Watt

powerless 08:15 09 Mar 03

Start the beast up and when that options menu appears choose the "last known good configuration"

stevenjwatt 08:28 09 Mar 03

When I select "last known good configuration", it continues for a little way but stops the bootup while the xpstartup screen is displayed (not the welcome screen)

Steven Watt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…