XP/98 Dual Boot Problems

dynosor 14:00 23 Oct 03

I have Win XP Prof on one H/D(Primary) and Win98 snd on another hard drive(Secondary), have dual boot setup on XP drive. At the choice panel when I hit key to run Win98, I get :-
No OS found
Insert OS setup disc: Press any key

This action takes me back to the Choice Panel.
So in affect I can only run Win XP.even if I insert a 98 bootup disc.
But, if I change my drive bootup order in the Bios, the system will boot straight into Win98 on my secondary drive. So the operating system is OK in win 98.
Can anyone tell me how I can get Win 98 to work from the Choice panel in XP? without changing drive bootup order in the Bios.

gold 47 15:15 23 Oct 03

Sorry this will be no help but i had the same problem as you when running a dual boot with two hard drives always had to go into the bios to change the drive to what ever OS you wanted to boot i will wait with interest on any reply to this thread.

MichelleC 15:20 23 Oct 03

Try this: open System/Advanced/startup and recovery, and it should list the 2 os's, select 98 to be 1st.

dynosor 16:04 23 Oct 03

When I tried System/Advanced/Startup,the result was as before. 98 won't seem to start if it is initiated from within XP.

dynosor 16:07 23 Oct 03

Sorry I didn't explain that very well. I did change 98 to be first, but the result was the same as before.

temp003 16:27 23 Oct 03

Can you explain how exactly you set up the dual boot? What I mean is, which OS was first installed, and then how you installed the 2nd OS, and after the setting up of the dual boot, did you change the hard disk configuration (master/slave)?

User-219333 18:12 23 Oct 03

I set up dual boot with Win 98SE & XP Pro & had no problems, but Win 98 has to be installed first.

dynosor 19:31 23 Oct 03

98 was already installed on the drive, I added a second hard drive on which I installed XP, this was set as master, the original containing 98 was set as secondary.

denchris 19:49 23 Oct 03

I found that Dual Boot would only set itself up correctly if you partitioned one drive and installed win98 first and then installed winxp on the other partition. winxp found win98 and set up the boot.ini which gives you your menu.
maybe a bit more bother but a good result...

denchris 19:55 23 Oct 03

Use your second drive for all your media and data files ! ...

Newuser38 21:30 23 Oct 03

I wonder if the drive you put XP on should have been left as slave when you set it up. I have dual boot 98 on master and XP on slave together with other partitions on slave for media, downloads etc. I can set up as above in XP to have 98 or XP boot up first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…