XP3

SURVEY 10:01 13 Aug 08

I noted in the past that there were some problems with the XP3 update. Have these all now been resolved as I have not yet updated my computer from XP2 to XP3. Should I update with XP3 and am I likely to encounter any problems?

Marko797 10:07 13 Aug 08

Just downloaded it this morning via auto update, and installed. No probs so far (fingers crossed).

Clapton is God 10:26 13 Aug 08

It's a wise idea to do some basic PC housekeeping before installing any Service Pack.

Uninstall all those programs you never use, run CCleaner, full AV and anti-malware scans, defrag the HDD, use msconfig to disable programs and process which you really don't need at startup.

I've always done this before installing Service Packs and they've always installed smoothly.

crosstrainer 10:48 13 Aug 08

Disable antivirus and antispyware applications as advised during installation.

Don't forget to renable them afterwards :)

birdface 11:26 13 Aug 08

Do you mean SP3.

birdface 11:29 13 Aug 08

Defrag before and after,And switch your firewall off before downloading.

SURVEY 11:37 13 Aug 08

buteman - yes, sorry - I did mean SP3

SURVEY 13:37 13 Aug 08

Marg7 - I have an AMD processor and an OEM version of XP. Is the link genuine?

Anyone else in the same boat?

john bunyan 14:02 13 Aug 08

SURVEY. I have an AMD processor, AVG and Commodo (Firewall) Also I have Media Centre Edition. The auto installation caused me to lose the TV tuner.To be safe, I would endorse the views above, so suggest the following: 1.After the housekeeping above create a restore point. Download SP3 to desktop - do not install (you may have to get it via MS developers page). 2. Disconnect from internet then disable Firewall and antivirus.3.Restart in safe mode. Install SP3 from desktop.Restart in normal mode.4 Restore anti virus and firewall.5. Reconnect to internet.
A bit long winded but it may be a better option than the auto install - which works fine for some.

PC Bilbo 16:15 13 Aug 08

The initial problem was AMD on a few HP computers
see here click here

The other problems were caused by system protection built into commercial applications like Kaspersky, Norton Internet Security etc.

I have installed on computers using above without problems by turning off this functiom installing and reactivating system protection after install.
If you do not switch this off, you will not be able to do a system restore if things go wrong.

If in doubt, create a restore point in safe mode first and refer to the relevant providers web site.

SURVEY 18:06 13 Aug 08

Thanks to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…