XP1800+ Thoroughbred or XP1900+ Palomino?

May the Schwarz be with you... 19:14 02 Aug 03

Hi, I'm about to buy these of ebuyer:

ECS K7S5A-PRO SKT A DDR/SDR ATX Athlon,Duron,Athlon XP Thoroughbred only Onboard Audio USB2.0 Motherboard click here

JNC4JA 8850 Nokia Style Gold ATX Midi Tower Case 300w Psu click here

Coolermaster CP5-6J31C Socket A Upto XP3000 AMD Approved click here

but I can't decide between these 2:

AMD ATHLON XP1800+ 266MHz FSB -Thoroughbred - OEM click here

or

AMD ATHLON XP1900+ 266MHz FSB - Palomino - OEM click here

They are similarly priced but I dunno which is faster because even though the latter is a XP1900+ it is the old Palomino version, rather than the more recent Thoroughbred XP1800+. I'm going to run it with Crucial 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM. So which is faster? Or do they perform basically the same?

Btw, all of this comes to about £90 incl delivery, much cheaper than the cheapest I could find at Tottenham Court Road today, which was £104.

One last question: Is the fan/heatsink above enough for the XP CPUs above and (ok, maybe 2 questions!), will a 300W PSU as supplied by the above case be enough as well? Many thanks.

Regards.

bremner 19:58 02 Aug 03

I really do not think you will notice any discernable difference between the two processors.

Your fan and PSU will be sufficient for your needs.

The board does not support PC2700 DDR 333 Ram according to click here
but the Crucial site certainly seems to suggest it can be fitted.

Ok, thanks. I decided to just go for the XP 1700+ instead and save myself a few quid. Probably not much difference between the 1700+ and 1800+ Thoroughbreds as well. I decided to also get this motherboard instead click here and it all came to £100.

The Sack 01:02 03 Aug 03

Thoroughbred has 9 layers to the core as opposed to 7 of the palomino, its also 13u rather than 18u and is designed to run faster and cooler.

Apart from a small decrease in heat there wont be any diffence in performance. If you will never OC then it makes no difference, if want to OC then get the Tbred as it is designed to run up to 500MHz faster than a palomino (doest mean you will get it though)

I heard that there are 2 types of Thoroughbred XP CPUs: Thoroughbred A and Thoroughbred B? I know that B is newer but again, could some tell me what the difference is? Most retailers don't seem to specify between the 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…